My Take on Threshold NS10

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
steenoe said:
Also C2 being an electrolytic isn't excactly my cup of tea. Maybe a Black Gate NP:D would be in order:)

Steen:)

Yes, C2 and C3, unfortunately I don't use BG np's.

But hopefully we will be able to skip output cap if we manage to have a very low drift on the double rail set up, which I doubt though.

C2 will greatlly determine the overall sound signature and balance through the audio spectrum:)

It would be a nice touch if you could squeeze in a small cap at each rail, say 1000u @ 35V on the board
I think Tony meant 1000uF, could be wrong.
I would like C1 with pin dist 21,5mm but you don't have to redo the board just because of that:)

Hopefull one of you folks can fill me in.
I intend to make a couple of boards and hopefully stuff them next week. Will keep you posted, ofcourse:)

steenoe said:
Is there any particular reason for C2 being 22uF, wouldnt 5-10uF be enough?
It would be easier to fit a nice sounding polyprop then.

C2 will have a great impact on the over all sound. Other similar circuits go fron 22 or 47 and up to even 100uf on that position but of course it depends on topology and active devices used. I suspect that it wont do with less than 22, but as always is a matter of testing for the best sound and taste
:) :) :)

Thanks for enlightening on that, Tony. Since C2 and C3 are Non polar, what about using two normal electrolytics turning in opposite directions? That way you can make a DIY nonpolar. It would be easier (and cheaper) to use good audio components then. Just a thought:)

Uppppps!!!

I was refering to C3 on the FB, sorry.

C2 is the output cap and the size is determined by the amp input impedance. The lower the impedance the bigger the cap. For the F2 you would only need some 2uf i guess. For a more universal type of preamp use 10 or 20uf.

Yes, Tony you are right about the F2:) I think this little linestage can come in handy for several uses. (If it sounds good:D ) I consider building one into my headphone amp as one possibility.
What do you think of my suggestion, using two normal electrolytics? Or should we just keep the NP's?

Steen. :)

steenoe said:
Yes, Tony you are right about the F2:) I think this little linestage can come in handy for several uses. (If it sounds good:D ) I consider building one into my headphone amp as one possibility.
What do you think of my suggestion, using two normal electrolytics? Or should we just keep the NP's?

Steen. :)

Don't think the NS10, as is, has enough power for phones. I guess a push pull type without output cap will be better. I'm sure you will like the F2 for phones:D

Sure, you can use lytics for C2/C3. I know you use very nice caps on your projects so go ahead and try some. Panasonic's FC comes to mind or other similar quality.

For C2 –output cap- make sure you have some positive bias to the + of the cap.
:cool: :cool:

What's the spacing for the film leads?
I suggested up to 21,5mm for C1, with some smaller options too.
Just checked my local supplier and it seem that a 22uF NP cap is 2,5mm, thats a 35v cap. I would like to see an option for C2 and C3 with two sets of holes, for use with normal electrolytics, if it will not confuse matters. (just point the neg's toward each other) If so 2,0mm leg dist.

Steen.:)

Edit. Forgot, filmcap bypass for C2 and C3.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.