Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

My Aleph-X compact PCB
My Aleph-X compact PCB
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th November 2005, 09:48 AM   #11
Stones is offline Stones  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Carondimonio
And here' s the driver board (4" x 1.80"):
I would consider mounting the fets on the short axis of the driver board, to keep the hotspots further apart, you could loose the mounting holes and lay the driver board onto the fets (legs bent @ 90deg)

just my 0.5 cents, Keep at it as like you pointed out there are people looking for these boards.
Old 9th November 2005, 04:05 PM   #12
Carondimonio is offline Carondimonio  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Hi Mark,

sorry for the late answer, I've been away on a business trip.
Thanks a lot for the suggestion, I will work on it in the next days.

Cheers,

Bruno

P.S.: Any comment on the new version of the main PCB?
Old 10th November 2005, 06:41 AM   #13
Stones is offline Stones  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Carondimonio
Hi Mark,

sorry for the late answer, I've been away on a business trip.
Thanks a lot for the suggestion, I will work on it in the next days.

Cheers,

Bruno

P.S.: Any comment on the new version of the main PCB?
Bruno,

I have not yet left the plain old aleph world and moved onto the X, it is on the list of things to do before I expire. Those that have built one would provide you with better feedback than I.

The things that I would try to do to the main board if you wanted to help the community by offering a group buy (oh dear did some one say group buy) would be:

1. Move the mounting holes in a bit they look a bit close to the se connection (its hard to see with no scale or files)
2. Enlarge the keep out around the mounting holes (it may just be me that likes to use hex button head screws to mount pcbs and or metal hex standoffs).
3. Provide some extra vias in between the existing 0.47r resistors so you can add extra resistors on top of the existing ones. (if you happened to have a stash of 1r resistors you could use 8 per side, Assuming the X is like the plain Aleph also really handy to make different power versions)
4. I know the heatsink has been mentioned but I dont like the idea of having it directly on top of tracks. Like you pointed out you could leave it out if you desire, I would leave it as it is (unless you really need the space) but probably put a length of alloy or copper between the fets (insulated).

Thats it for now, please send me the brd and circuit files if you want further input.
Old 17th November 2005, 08:43 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Default Version 3

Hi all,

well, I didn' t have much time lately to work on this project, but now I' ve made some changes to the previous version.

Quote:
Originally posted by mark stones

Bruno,

I have not yet left the plain old aleph world and moved onto the X, it is on the list of things to do before I expire. Those that have built one would provide you with better feedback than I.

The things that I would try to do to the main board if you wanted to help the community by offering a group buy (oh dear did some one say group buy) would be:

1. Move the mounting holes in a bit they look a bit close to the se connection (its hard to see with no scale or files)
2. Enlarge the keep out around the mounting holes (it may just be me that likes to use hex button head screws to mount pcbs and or metal hex standoffs).
3. Provide some extra vias in between the existing 0.47r resistors so you can add extra resistors on top of the existing ones. (if you happened to have a stash of 1r resistors you could use 8 per side, Assuming the X is like the plain Aleph also really handy to make different power versions)
4. I know the heatsink has been mentioned but I dont like the idea of having it directly on top of tracks. Like you pointed out you could leave it out if you desire, I would leave it as it is (unless you really need the space) but probably put a length of alloy or copper between the fets (insulated).

Thats it for now, please send me the brd and circuit files if you want further input.
1.: Done.
2.: Done.
3.: Done.
4.: Well, at the moment I decided to live the heatsink as it is. It can be left out or it can be replaced by a small block of copper or a smaller heatsink. If installed as it is, the solder mask will anyway isolate the tracks from the heatsink.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Bruno

P.S.: Mark, YGM!
Old 17th November 2005, 09:25 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Stupid me, forgot to attach the board...
Attached Images
File Type: gif alephxv3brd.gif (40.6 KB, 1610 views)
Old 18th November 2005, 01:57 PM   #16
still4given is offline still4given  United States
diyAudio Member

My Aleph-X compact PCB
There is no way I would trust solder mask to insulate between a trace and a heatsink . I got burned, literally, before thinking that would work. Too easily scratched. I would use a mica insulator or something between them.

Blessings, Terry
Old 18th November 2005, 09:22 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Hi Terry,

thanks for your comments.
Actually, I think both you and Mark are right; I redesigned the board a little and now there' s no top layer traces running under the heatsink.

Cheers,

Bruno
Attached Images
File Type: gif alephxv3-1brd.gif (40.5 KB, 1468 views)
Old 19th November 2005, 04:41 AM   #18
grataku is offline grataku  United States
diyAudio Member

Input caps:
I thought what you thought, I got caps on the preamp what do I need caps in the input for? Right?...Wrong.
I don't fully understand why but try it out and see for yourself, the dc ot the output is much better behaved with the input caps.
I would make provisions for the caps before hand rather than putting them in on the fly as an afterthought.
Unfortunately, the input impedance of the amp is on the low end side so the caps need to be more than 1uF and the PP kind tend to be large.
Old 19th November 2005, 04:47 AM   #19
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned

Send a message via AIM to jleaman
Are you going to do a groupp buy on these.. ? if i see properly it is 4 fet's on the output stage or is it more ?
Old 19th November 2005, 06:36 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Hi grataku,

hmmm... well, I' ll try to fit the input caps, I guess 2 uF should be OK, what do you think?

Hi jleaman,

the output boards are daisy-chainable, there are also pads for screw terminals with a 200 mil step for this purpose (and, of course, normal soldering pads).
As for the group buy, well... I do not know, it depends on how many people are interested.

Cheers,

Bruno

My Aleph-X compact PCBHide this!Advertise here!