Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

SEWA - Seven Watt Amplifier
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th October 2018, 11:18 PM   #941
seagull is offline seagull  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hey all, I've built this design a couple of times now and the pictures below are of my latest build. I used an Elektor op-amp design with "high-end" caps and the set-up is magical. I typically drive the SEWA with valves (Class A or SRPP), but oddly enough this op-amp design is the best I've heard.

Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10-Watt Class A Pwr.jpg (132.6 KB, 204 views)
File Type: jpg Op-Amp Pre.jpg (981.8 KB, 212 views)
Old 15th October 2018, 11:33 PM   #942
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

Chris - I really like what you've done there. The pre-amp looks great, nice high quality parts, very clean construction. It's one of those secrets that many won't admit - a good opamp is a great solution.

I like the construction method for your SEWA too; a little off-the-wall but I can see your 'valves' heritage in there.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.

Last edited by Bigun; 15th October 2018 at 11:35 PM.
Old 16th October 2018, 12:47 AM   #943
res07njc is offline res07njc  United States
diyAudio Member

Love the terminal strips too. bravo!
Old 16th October 2018, 01:18 AM   #944
Bare is offline Bare  Canada
diyAudio Member

Ok.. seems like a LOT of bits.
No longer a very simple construct .. is it?
Old 16th October 2018, 02:50 AM   #945
johnego is offline johnego  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagull View Post
I typically drive the SEWA with valves (Class A or SRPP), but oddly enough this op-amp design is the best I've heard.

Class-A or tube lovers prefer opamp with second order distortion, monotonic distortion spectrum or simply opamp with very good mid. OP27 is known for its vocal superiority, and OP227 is an improved version of OP27. The only issue is probably the 2.8 V/us slew rate which is low but probably not too critical for most music.

Other opamps that might be preferred by tube lovers are AD795 (slew rate below 2 V/us), AD823 and LT13xx (LT1358 for low current, LT1364 for high current drive).

SEWA - Seven Watt AmplifierHide this!Advertise here!