Inside picutures of a Pass Labs Aleph?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just purchased some surplus Aleph heatsinks from a fellow member here, which I plan to use for a project.

However, I am not quite sure how the chassis was held together on these. I assume that it could use block pillars in the corners to hold the sinks together, and provide attachment points for the top and bottom panels. But a picture is worth a thousand words for when I approach my machinst friend to ask for his help. Does anyone have a pic or two of the internals of an actual Aleph (e.g., not a clone) that they are willing to post up here for reference? Thanks in advance. Also, would it be advisable to use a sheet of copper as a substrate on the sink to assist with heat spreading. While I haven't seen the sinks in person yet, but they don't look very thick. I will be using either 2 or 3 To-247 packages per sink, and I am not sure the sink is optimal for the task without some help.

Incidentally, my project isn't going to be a Pass design at all. Much more fun to break all the rules. :devilr: Particularly after seeing some of the beautiful and novel chassis that some of you have built for your Aleph clones, tee-hee.

Hey Nelson, thanks for the reply.

I am pretty sure that I can port an autocad file into Visio, but if not, my machinist-friend uses Autocad for his CNC work. So, yes please do post the files, as that will undoubtedly save me time and mistakes. My sinks are A2 sinks, if you do not wish to publish them all.

I am thinking I might add some tripod landing-gear-style legs for that just-landed alien probe look, which will absolutely guarantee that my wife totally hates them. :D :devilr:

Aleph 3 pics.

Attachments

• aleph 3 top inside.jpg
    aleph 3 top inside.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 1,210
Aleph Case

Blue,
Are you wanting the files to make your own case that is similar to the original?

I would certainly be interested. I assume there are a few here like myself that case fabrication is not our strong point. We know Mr. Pass stopped making them due to cost and their less than convenient user friendliness, but aren't these attributes something DIYers live for?

With the nod from NP pending... I hesitate to suggest a group purchase. Don't of course forget other ramifications such as potential look alike amps hitting the market as fakes from the likes of DIYZONE or heaven-forbid someone on this forum.

I however would love to have a couple of Aleph5 cases. How about a slight variation...

Pending the go ahead, any one care to get a price qoute from their machinist? Blue?

Sincerely,
The worst fabricator I know.

Re: Aleph Autocad

Eclipse911t said:

Niles? Are you looking to make this case? You mentioned a machinist...

I have to pretty up my cases or the wife won't let me keep playing.

No, I already have the sinks, I just need to know how to put them together. My friend Mike iowns a small machine shop and can help me make up the top and bottom, the blocks that hold the sinks together and get holes in place and tapped. But, I have never seen an Aleph in person and I don't know how it goes together. Frankly, I like doing the designing and then collaborating with skilled artisans to get good results. I'm quite finicky, and oftentimes my own efforts at fabrication just don't meet my standards. Better to have someone that has the right skills do it with me collaboratively. Plus, this kind of project brings some pleasure to other folks that get to participate and then drink beer when its done. :)

Often, I like to put together designs that stretch quite a bit from the conventional precisely to goad my wife. I can't wait to see her reaction to the space alien amps. I'm thinking of putting some blue leds on the bottom to produce a ground effect like dem homeboyz do. :devilr:

George at Blue Collar Supply a few years ago hooked me up with Aleph 5 and Aleph 2 heatsinks. Of those my two friends in Texas built 3 pairs of Aleph 1.2 chassis. Alot of work but well worth the effort. My friend has his pair singing, they are awesome the other is amp rich and not in a hurry. Me Im in california apt with a pissed off neighbor.....Maybe next yr Ill get them stuffed with electronics. Ive already got the Plitron LONO 2K transformers for them. My monos will weigh 200 lbs each. Illl post some pics of what they have done in the heat of the summmer

Much thanks to Nelson and George for being who they are!!!!!

Attachments

• complete.jpg
    complete.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 601
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.