X 250 Rules...Less is more

Status
Not open for further replies.
So when are you guys gonna get a review from Greg Borrowman at Australian HiFi?We've had every Hi End brand under the sun reviewed over the last 12 months.
Perhaps even a telephone interview. We are all tired of that article on how "Power Factor Correction Improves Bass Response" from Halcro's B.C.
I would much rather read an informative article on the Rushmore or the AX by N.P. in a HiFi Magazine.

Macka

Last edited by a moderator:
The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Depends on what you consider bad. There is always something to fault in any product. The worst review I can remember was
about 1980 by Harry Pearson in Absolute Sound on the Stasis 1.He spent several pages discussing the decoding of surface noise
on vinyl, and then simply said "I don't like this amplifier very much."
:cool:
Oh yeah, and Julian Hirsch blew out all the fuses on a Stasis 3 by clipping it at 20 KHz, and then proceeded to break all 4 fuse holders.

Oh yeah, and Julian Hirsch blew out all the fuses on a Stasis 3
What does that tell you about the reviewer? Total d#mbass:D My ex-wife could achieve something like that:D No offense :D :D I guess?;) Steen:cool:

BTW I just have the opportunity to listen to a Stasis 2 amp, and there is not much to dislike, if anything. It doesn't have this smooth kind of sound like Zen's and Aleph's, but nonetheless:)

Speaking of review issues here is one of the more colourful reviews on our board in recent times at Lansing Heritage.

The problem here was not so much the reviewer but the audience who shall we say on more than on occasion had a failing out with the ego driven and passionate designer Yuri Gutsatz of - PSS Audio. The single posts of the review are polite and to the point.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=45826&postcount=1
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=45833&postcount=2

And the flames and mushroom clouds from the audience...I think they hated this french designer....
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=5046&highlight=PSS+review

The amp is actually very good as a class A/B amp, and although there are a few typos, not once did I spell Pass wrong as I was very careful to hide the identity of the reference amplifier. I also had a lot of fun being involved in the tweaking process to arrive at the new Studio Reference Series.

Macka

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I once built Son of Zen amp with undersized heatsinks, that were running at 90 degrees C all the time. It was running fine for 2-3 years untill I put it apart ����

I suppose its fun to revive 16 years old thread...

One thing should be clear when speaking about temperature, you should specify if you are talking about the temp of the active device or the temp of the heatsink.
There is a big difference. Because Mr. Nelson was clearly talking about the heatsink temperature.
If your Son of Zen, which I built too and used for many years with Lowthers, btw you can see it in the thread 'ugly but good working', back to the topic...if your Son of Zen had a heatsink of 90 deg Celsius, the active device would have been well over hundred, and it would not survive few hours or days, never years!

Status
Not open for further replies.