Aleph 4 cost to build?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Could any one give me an idea or estimate how much it would cost to build this amp, say using new parts or old?

Also, I read on Nelson Pass' site it will be around 2 lb weight for every 1 watt, which is about a 200 lb or 80kg beast?

Also, thinking of hard wiring the circuit, any suggestions here?

Oh, and one last one Question please, I have never built an amp, so is this possible for a newby to do this project??

TIA

There are certainly more folks here with more experience than I have, but I will contribute what I can...

There are several major "categories" of expenses for an amp:
1) power supply
2) chasis
3) output stage
4) heatsinks

The cost of a power supply will vary according what you are trying to do, but an unregulated bridge & capacitor power supply might cost about $150 for 2 new toroids, $25-50 for capacitors, and another $5 for the bridges. If you can find surplus or used toriods, you can save a lot of money here.

The chasis can cost up to $200 for a custom one, or you can purchase a ready-made or used one pretty cheap.

The output stage for this design calls for 24 mosfets that cost about $3 each. These mosfets need to be matched, so you probably need to purchase more than 24. Figure on about $100-125 for these.

Heatsinks are very expensive to dissipate 500 watts of power. Look in surplus places for these, otherwise you'll spend an arm & a leg on new ones.

Have a look at <a href="http://www.facstaff.bucknell.edu/esantane/movies/a40.html">my parts list</a> for the pass labs a40 for links to surplus vendors and other general cost estimates.

Off the cuff, I'd guess an Aleph 4 would cost somewhere between $400-600 depending on bargains you find. Any comments from those who have actually built this amp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.