DC offset problem Aleph 5

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've built one Aleph5 channel and it's working great

I built the 2nd channel and there's a offset problem
I check all values so far carefully.

All major DC values seem to be OK
Bias current is 0.62A per FET

After switching on the supply the output is rising to -5 to 6 V and the DC value is demping out in about 15 sec to values under 200mV. It is even coming down to 50mV what it should be
Switching off the supply makes the output rising to 5-6V and it demping to about 2 V in 10 sec or so and then it takes much longer. There is a speaker connected, a mid range with a capacitor in series. Without speaker same behavior.

Sounds seems to be fine so far although the connected midrange is an golden oldie.

When connecting a 22 power R over the outut the DC offeset is demping out a bit faster.

This behavior is also there with pur resistive load of 22R and without any load

No oscillations to see on the scope.
Has anyone see this before ?
Any advice ?

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Adrie,

I'm not sure there is a problem. The transient offset is generally seen with SE amps - I think yours is SE? The 55mV is OK.

If you connect both channels, with same load, to same supply, at the same time, do they act differently? How long is the transient offset with a resistive load (no cap in series) of say 8 ohms?

Jan Didden

Thanks Jan for your reply,

Yes my amp is SE.
The reason why I got suspicious is that the test midrange died last week.

The transient takes up to 10 sec or longer to under 1-2V and that's long

I just tested the other channel and it showed now similar behavior.

With resistive load only 22R, no power on transient and a minor power off transient of les than 2 sec, so thats ok

Regards,

Adrie

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.