Zen Exhibits Low Gain

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Pass DIY Apprentice
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I just completed one channel of the Pass Zen amplifier. I've made the appropriate adjustments, etc. Output waveforms look good, but the gain seems to be about one half of the value specified in the article (I believe it was about 15dB). 3VPP in results in about 10VPP out. Any thoughts? I've gone over the circuit to check for obvious stuff like wrong resistor values, etc. I'm using the original circuit configuration with a 20V zener and an IRFP240 on the signal side. Could it be a bad MOSFET? Anyone else encountered this?

Thanks for your help.

Mike

Pass DIY Apprentice
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Grey:

Thanks for your reply.

IQ is 2.00A. Voltage across R1 is .657V. Voltage across R1 and Q2 is 16.97V. Supply voltage is 34.1V. P1 is about 70% CW.

My initial thought was the dreaded "leaky" zener, but I would expect that to "chop" the waveform rather than reduce the gain.

I'm using an OsziFox "Probe Scope" for my AC measurements. It isn't exactly a precision instrument, but I wouldn't expect it to be too far out of whack. My trusty 'ol Tektronix scope died the day I finished up the first channel.

I appreciate your thoughts.

Mike

Pass DIY Apprentice
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Grey:

You're absolutely correct! The gain for the Zen was quoted at 15 dB in the pre-text of the "Bride of Zen" article, but 8.5 dB in the original Zen article. Please forgive my oversight and thank you for your help.

Eureka! It actually works!

I can't wait to get the second channel built and hook this thing up to some speakers...

[Edited by mrothacher on 08-02-2001 at 08:24 PM]

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.