Aleph 1.2 and a pair of Martin Logans

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I used to own a pair of Sequel 2's back when they first came out. They are ok speakers and may sound good with the more laid back top end of the 1.2's. I ran mine with a Threshold S-300 and the results were dry and very sterile. The woofer does not integrate very well at all with the panels. The panels have a resonant problem of sorts and will make a buzzzzzzz sound at the right level with the right frequency and such. Of course ML always denied there was any problem at all.... but they did just finish a re-design of the electrostat panels that is now supposed to allevite all that problem. I think there are better speakers available from Denmark which I much prefer and own.

The CLS is a whole other(better) world in and of itself. The two are entirely different sounding.......

Mark

Name me 1 hybrid Martin Logan that is able to hide the crossover between both drivers.

The only ML combo i heard that combined dynamic subwoofers with electrostatic panels well was the Statement, first version.
The second edition i have not heard, all Martin Logans starting from the first Sequel series sound like Ferrari's towing a turtle.

The best ML I ever heard was a set up consisting of double CLS-2's. It was in a rather largish room with a high vaulted ceiling. Each CSL was powered by a BAT VK-60 running in mono mode. Stunning was a good way to describe it. I only lived with my Sequels for about 6 months and dumped them for Dynaudios which I still own almost 9 years later! The Dyns tweeter is even more transparent than the panels on the Sequels.

Mark

I'm currently building a pair of 1.2s to power the panels of a ML's Monolith III. This set up will come with seperate sub towers that are construced to be half a Statement's sub tower. They are made with the same drivers and all.

I don't have these speaks yet, but are being told by a friend of mine that they are available for sale whenever I want them. My listening room is 25' by 20' with 8' ceilings. I have listened to these speaks before and really like the "fullness" they posses. I haven't heard better, but really haven't tried everything there is out there.

By the way, last I heard them, the panels were driven by a set of Threshold 1's or 1a's or something like that.....the 100 watt monoblock model with the meter on the front...whatever model that was.

If someone out there can show me a better speaker for under $6000, tell me and I'll go listen to it.

Chris

I'd say live with a pair of the more expensive Dynaudios for a while. The tweeters really do as well or better than electrostats. Even with the curved panels the ML's still beam alot and need very, very careful placement. For 6K you could get one hell of a set of used Dynaudios. Buying new would get you less bang for the buck but still as good or better performance IMHO as the ML's. The Dynaudios will in all likely hood play substantially louder and stay clean and the bottom end will definately be alot cleaner. Again though its all what color sound you like.

These would definately blow the pants off the Monoliths.

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1109522217

Mark

If someone out there can show me a better speaker for under $6000, tell me and I'll go listen to it.

Easy...

If you want panels:

Apogee Studio Grands (I own these - resolution to the nth degree...) Difficult to find but worth the search...
http://www.apogeespeakers.com/studiogrand.htm

If you want dynamic drivers:

Vandersteen 5's or 5A's (simply amazing - very lush and musical...) Biggest soundstage you are ever likely to hear. I own the 4A's that were the model prior to the 5's and they to are outstanding although nowhere near the 5's... You simply must spend some time with them... Worth an airplane ticket if they're not sold in your area...
http://www.vandersteen.com/pages/Model5ALit.htm

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1110151252

Buy either of these speakers and you'll never look at the ML's (or much else) again...

Used, both should just be in your price range. The harder part is finding them...

Mark A. Gulbrandsen said:
Before I bought my Dyns I auditioned the Vandersteens but was not happy with the midrange, an aspect that none of the Dyns I auditioned at the time suffered from. Sounded a bit hollow in my home at the time. The later ones may be better though..... this was about 9 years ago.

Mark

I agree with you there, i found the Vandersteens to dry and blury.

I had a few good mounths with a pair of Dyns 2.8 myself.

I hope no one minds me thread jacking this post but, I have not heard anyone say anything about Thiel.

On the Dynaudio.....I looked for dealers, and the only place they are available is somewhere in Illinois. Does this mean I should buy aplane ticket to go hear them? Are they really this good? I really don't have the time to travel there just to hear them.

I guess for me the Martin Logan Monoliths are like losing your virginity.....they were the first real hi end speaker I ever heard on a real system (Thresholds no less) and so naturally I fell in love with them....and music for that matter.

Thank you everyone for your opinions...I cherish them all.

Chris

Clarkcr said:
I hope no one minds me thread jacking this post but, I have not heard anyone say anything about Thiel.

On the Dynaudio.....I looked for dealers, and the only place they are available is somewhere in Illinois. Does this mean I should buy aplane ticket to go hear them? Are they really this good? I really don't have the time to travel there just to hear them.

The Dyns are good, but you'll need a powerful amp to make them breath properly.
Then they are among the best.
If you like the sound from the Thiels, you should listen to the ProAc and Audio Physic's as well.

"On the Dynaudio.....I looked for dealers, and the only place they are available is somewhere in Illinois. Does this mean I should buy aplane ticket to go hear them? Are they really this good? "

Ther are a number of dealers in Houston but I know nothing about them. There is also a dealer in Tulsa, OK. There is a dealer in Park City, Utah as well not too far from me. I don't recomend the Chicago dealer at all. I'm originally from that area and was by their store a few times...... typical bad treatment there. Holm Audio in the Chicago burbs was Chicago's best dealer by far and probably the most accomodating dealer I've ever bought from. The Thiels to me are way too tizzy on the high end but an Aleph might tame them. We have a very congenial Thiel dealer here in SLC which was also a place that Ray Kimber started out long ago.

As for the ticket to hear them... absolutely YES! Money well spent for sure. You might even come out to Park City which is only 30 min from Salt Lake City. Its a very scenic area as well and if you ski then you've got it made. Other wise its still a very fun town.... just check with them to see they have a decent sampling of them on display. Large amps are better on any Dyn but I've run mine very respectively from my friends Aleph 3 and it was absolutely amazing.

Mark

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Also not wanting to hijack a thread, but as there was mention of comparing ESLs to dynamic drivers, it might be kept in mind that Linkwitz believes -- and I am very inclined to trust him -- that his Orion is the best loudspeaker design going right now. Remember years ago, he preferred ESLs but has now found drivers with low enough distortion. The Audio Critic has just reviewed the Orion and can't find enough words of praise, and everyone else who's heard them rank them VERY high.
I also struggle with the choice between ESL and boxless dynamic speakers. So far it looks like First Come, First Served is going to happen: in other words, Fate.

Don't take it the wrong way, but the thought of pairing Nelson Pass and Siegfried Linkwitz in the privacy of my own living room makes me all tingly...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.