son of Zen-lite

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
After a few unsucessfull tries, I finally found a lamp combination that might work. 4x12v50w halogen lamps.

the resistance of that combination at 24.1 V is 8.033ohm at 3A.

I guess it might work. i'll try it tonight.

My only doubts are the following:

- can I substitute the positive( or negative) rail 8ohm resistors only, or should I change all the 8ohm resistors?

- the value of the resistors in both rails must be the same (symetrical)?

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
As Nelson mentions in his Zen lite site, there is some concern that halogen bulb do not last very long run at lower voltages.

As I understand(?) it, tungsten is being continuously blasted off the filiment in any bulb -that is why they fail. In quartz halogen bulbs there is apparently a cycle set up that deposits the metal vapor back onto the filiment instead of the glass.

I suspect that one of the reasons the Q-H bulbs are whiter light is that they can be run hotter without burning away the filiment
The claim is that at lower temps the cycle doesn't work.

I used a 300 watt Q-H bulb pointed against the wall to light my living room for a long time and the bulbs lasted for years, even though they were dimmed often. BUT they were always run up to full brightness often too

I think you will have no problem, the dim filiment probably doesn't spew off as much tungsten.

Please keep us informed how this works out, the amount of power you are running through them, and the brightness- do they glow or are they pretty bright?

I wanna make an Bulbous X Son o Zen

Load dependent

Nelson Pass said:
I mean matched enough that the amplifier does
not show serious DC across the load, which in
my book is 100 mV.
Be careful with HEADphone
they can not take so much current
I have Burned someones
Using them as My StetoScope
I like a ;)doctor;), ya 'now

Nice to see you Nelson
I have waited
and I am not the only

i know you soon

gro :p

Nelson Pass:
do you mean that if i put for example 2x8ohm resistor on the negative rails and 2x10ohm lamp on the positive rails I might get DC in the output?

I belive from my modest knowledge that dc offset is the result of assimetries in both sides of the diferencial pair, like mosfet diferences or resistor diferences (am I wright?).

What I am talking about is a diference in resistence between R1=R2 and R3=R4 in your SOZ circuit.

Can it cause trouble? If not I'll put the lamps only on one rail.
But I'm not sure that I can match 8ohm like the resistors with the lamps.

Thanx,

you are partial wrong

PedroPO said:
I believe from my modest knowledge that dc offset is the result of assimetries in both sides of the diferencial pair, like mosfet diferences or resistor diferences (am I wright?).
What I am talking about is a diference in resistence between R1=R2 and R3=R4 in your SOZ circuit.
Can it cause trouble? If not I'll put the lamps only on one rail.
But I'm not sure that I can match 8ohm like the resistors with the
lamps. :p Thanx YOU :p

But
do you make your own caculating
when trim
your
power handling device?

Best so! We are after :D ALL DIY People :D
nicht war?

gro
MAN
form
SWEden

gromanswe:

well I dont calculate anything more dificult then V=RI because I don't know much more (university physics).

I also don't know what you mean with "trim your power handling device", sorry :(

What do you mean with parcially wrong?

pls help me on this, Can I switch just R1 and R2 even if the resistence doesn't match with R3 and R4 (wich in fact are in paralell so it results in 4ohm resistor, 100W

PedroPO said:
gromanswe:

well I dont calculate anything more dificult then V=RI because I don't know much more (university physics).

I also don't know what you mean with "trim your power handling device", sorry :(

What do you mean with parcially wrong?

pls help me on this, Can I switch just R1 and R2 even if the resistence doesn't match with R3 and R4 (wich in fact are in paralell so it results in 4ohm resistor, 100W

you are WISE
I never usually calculate anything
but with
OHMS LAW

many others not being so wise
come Far FAR from goal:
ENJOY gro's MUSIC groman music groman songs

Did it.

I replaced both R3 and R4 (8ohm resistors) with 3x12V50W halogen lamps

the voltage drop at R3 before the lamps was 8.71V. With the lamps is now 8.72V 1.8A so the power dissipation is about 15.7W.

I tried it also with 4 lamps and the voltage drop was about 8.9V. the DC offset at the output did not change with the lamps.

It seems to work just fine:D

I wonder what happens if a lamp blows?
do I blow the fet? or the speaker?

I'll post later a temperature test with and without the lamps and some pics

I have 3 bulbs in series. If one fails no current will flow, but just on the negative rail. can it cause some kind of death in the mosfet and speaker?

Attachments

• img_3548 800x600.jpg
    img_3548 800x600.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 484
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.