DIY progress report

Babowana said:

You are having nice honeymoon and gifts.
Never go to bittermoon. Remember!

On behalf of Papa . . .

:darkside:

Thanks! It's very nice to receive such an intangible gift from Papa. We'll only have to materialize it...then enjoy sweet tunes...

p.s.
I am being patient; Thus I won't ask papa when he'll post a schematic, but I already got an itch.... :darkside:

By the way, I'd rather wait longer and enjoy reading a nice article along with a schematic, than just schematic....
:cool:

Papa, I hope you had enough sleep after the Burnin' Amp event...really great. I wish I was there...

While I enjoyed watching photos, and seeing all those material gifts that you and Colin gave away to people, I can't help myself but ask a probably notorious question: Could we expect to have a schematic/article of your Special crossover, or we better wait till Christmas? (if you are still in :santa: mood)...

I've built some OB's, but integrating the drivers is the painful part. I hope that a special crossover will come as a relief...

Regards,

Vix

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Vix said:
While I enjoyed watching photos, and seeing all those material gifts that you and Colin gave away to people, I can't help myself but ask a probably notorious question: Could we expect to have a schematic/article of your Special crossover, or we better wait till Christmas?

As usual, there's a story. Over the summer Matt (Chris and
Matt of Kleinhorns) built me 25 different pairs of baffle designs
of different shapes and sizes around drivers that I have that I
want to try. The ones that I took to the show were #4 of the

I started out with the hope that a simple universal crossover /
equalizer would do the job, and have been discovering that this
is not the case. Each pair brings a new adjustment to the list,
and since I only really want to do this thing once, I need to
continue building up some more of these baffle designs to be
certain that the feature set is sufficiently comprehensive.

So we'll see. It may be that a subset of this stuff gets out
by Christmas, but certainly not the whole thing.

Nelson Pass said:
As usual, there's a story. Over the summer Matt (Chris and
Matt of Kleinhorns) built me 25 different pairs of baffle designs
of different shapes and sizes around drivers that I have that I
want to try. The ones that I took to the show were #4 of the
:eek:
25 pairs!

Thank you very much. I appreciate the effort. Most of us DIY-ers don't have the possibility to try that many combinations. OB's are great, and it would be a pity for a potential DIY-et to be put off by the bad sounding sample because of the driver/crossover mismatch (beside OB dimensions-but that's a WAF issue anyway).

Originally posted by Nelson Pass I started out with the hope that a simple universal crossover /
equalizer would do the job, and have been discovering that this
is not the case. Each pair brings a new adjustment to the list,
and since I only really want to do this thing once, I need to
continue building up some more of these baffle designs to be
certain that the feature set is sufficiently comprehensive.

So we'll see. It may be that a subset of this stuff gets out
by Christmas, but certainly not the whole thing.

:cool: [/B]

It would also be interesting to know which baffle-driver-crossover combinations did not sound good, and why. That would save us a lot of hassle. I did one pair and was not truly satisfied because I could not get to integrate the drivers properly. Now I realize that it is not as easy as I thought, and may take more time than just one weekend... See a thread here:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=110452

In the meantime, I am running the Visaton B200 alone, fullrange...

Best Regards

Vix

electronic crossover

Nelson,
I hope one of the options include balanced inputs and outputs. I am trying to replace my Marchand state variable crossover that uses op amps with something up to the quality of the aleph4 I just completed. I plan to convert everything over to balanced in the next couple of years.
Thanks for all the help
Don

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I've been at the coast this week, 25th anniversary, and between
celebrating that and working on house plans, I did not crack
my computer open.

I did read an interesting book, Lee Smolin's The Trouble With Physics
which I enjoyed very much.

Regarding the crossovers, it's really the usual story. You start
out with a filter set which comes out of a textbook and it doesn't
sound good, and you often find that it doesn't measure well either.

So you fool around with it, measuring and listening until finally
you get something pretty good, and then you fool around with
it some more, usually making it a little better, and so on.

When you're done, you find that some of what you have accomplished
is applicable to the next baffle design with different drivers, but
not all of it, and the process gets repeated for each version.

Originally I had hoped for a generalized solution, but have come
to accept that if you want it to more than just measure decently
you have to put the work into each instance.

Nelson Pass said:

I did read an interesting book, Lee Smolin's The Trouble With Physics
which I enjoyed very much.

Mr. Pass,
thank You for the hint.
It seems indeed to be a highly enjoyable book and certainly very well writen.
About strings theory, I'am allways fascinated by the possiblility of visualisation of very abstract and complicated mathematical theories.
The chapter (16) about sociology of science is very interesting. The next one ("What is science"?) is strange in my opinion, as it leads to somewhat tautological conclusions. But I must maybe re-read again to be sure.
--
Anyway, page 262:
"... supersymmetry [...] may be shown by experiment to be true, and if it is, its inventor will deserve Nobel Prize.":)
HeHe.
All the best to you.

Manuel

More linear transistors

Greetings,

It is only recently that I came across Pass Labs Amplifiers. Mainly through reviews. I have not had the privilege to listen to one.

I am mostly into tubes, but I have paid regular visits to the DIY Pass site. I congratulate and thank Mr. Nelson Pass for sharing his passion and outstanding products with us.

I have two questions:
1. Would the Aleph X amplifier be better by using more linear transistors? For example 2SK1058. Which are quite expensive. The max. current is only 7A compared to 57A for the IRFP044.
Interestingly, the IRFP044 become more linear with heat.

2. Does a current source behave better if you use more linear transistor? Or a current source is a current source. Period. No matter what transistor you use?

Thank you.

Serge
:confused:

Christmas :xmas: is approaching, :xmastree: trees are decorated...I've been told that :santa:will drop some presents through chimney...

But he has a problem... Open Baffle speakers are too big...therefore he will drop just plans...

Or, even better, he will post them here so all good kids who wished nice active OB's can build them...(provided that they did the homeworks)

Nelson, any chance for that?:)