DIY progress report

Ciao Stefano ,

I do not purchase the original PCB ( but to be honest I think I'll soon contact Karen for a pair of Pearl ono) BTW I use as usual 5 or 7 watt wire wound resistors that I find in the local store .
I never mind for power resistors since I live in a small country, and not always want to use a credit card for buying fiew .
( Think of someone that dislike wire wound resistors - myself , didn't find yet a power metalfilm round here )
They measure 21*10*10 millimeter (5watt) .
Let me know if they fit the PCB .

Please look forward for the complete ZENV4 work .

Somebody knows where to buy a pair of Pioneer BU20F 20 -51F
fullrange drivers?

Not bad at all, 2 way current source speaker with the FE206E and the Jx92S!!!

6db/oct crossover network with 3milli Henry and 54uf . The Fe206e have in parallel a 15ohm resistor. Well it is an experiment where the JX92 is in "open baffle" and the Fostex in MLTL....
They play very very nicely together .

:Piano: :eguitar: :drunk:

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Hafler Upgrade

"The amp is in the mail"

Is that one of the 3 biggest lies? Nah. I'm going to benefit from this so you know its true! I just wanted to mention that my HAfler is shipped to Pass Labs. Its a bit strange to not know what will happen to it. So far I know that I will get it back, and I'm assuming that it will remain a power amp.

I can't wait to see what Nelson comes up with- Any hints Nelson?

There are surely many hundreds if not thousands of these amps out in DIY land, so any developments will surely benefit lots of people.

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
If you park in my driveway you block the sidewalk and the garage itself is full of washing machines, bikes, etc, for three flats. Such is life in the city. I park on the street.

Hell, they can sleep on my sofabed or floor if they want!

The right approach is to go a couple of blocks north of Geary street. (coincidentely that's where I live) to Bush, or better Pine Streets. That part of the Fillmore is now tres chi chi. In fact so much so that I can't afford to go out to eat around here anymore.

Also there is indoor parking for the Kabuki Theater and Japantown Mall (yes a mall- how suburban!) right at Post and Fillmore, Basically diagonally across from the Fillmore Auditorium.

I guess its not a Bill Ghrahm/ Greatful Dead show...:(

E-mail me if you need more info.

I really can't believe that the amp got there so quickly. I sent it yesterday afternoon. This Christmas rush actually speeds things up often I guess.

Happy holidays to all,
MArk

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Thanks very much. I remember the Kabuki Torture Massage
that Sammut and I used to go to next to the Kabuki Theater.

Great place - they had big signs that said "This is straight
respectable massage place!".

The only problem was that by the time you drove back to
Sacramento, you needed another massage. :cool:

I would strongly advised using Parking garage. Just this weekend in SF my car was towed, so I had to go to pick up my car at 10.00PM. It was some miserable unhappy driveway owner that called the towing, even do I was only 3" accross the red sidewalk line - not even driveway. ( I haven't seen any washing machines, bikes, etc, in the driveway):bawling:

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Well, its a new year, and I presume that Nelson Jr. and the rest of us survived the New Years festivities.

Now I'm in no hurry at all, having replaced my Hafler amp that I sent off to Pass Central with one of those Sonic Impact Class D $30 amps with a wall wart, and it seems to sound a lot better.....(it was my office system) so I'm sure I did the right thing. Also it amuses me to send that big doorstop off to Nelson with NO idea what he has in mind.

Which leads to my question: Nelson, do you have a clue what you are going to do twith the thing? :D

Just wondering if you want to hint at anything.....

Nelson,

I've completely lost track. What is the next project in line for future release. Has everything been put on hold for Le Monstre making it next? Actually for that matter, I've lost track of what is in the cue altogether. Any chance of a brief update???

Cheers, Terry
(Currently listening to Mat Dusk on my CC-CCS-X-BZLS and XGC while sipping on a wonderful Californian Ironstone Petitie Syrah, highly recommended)

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
metalman said:
I've completely lost track. What is the next project in line for future release. Has everything been put on hold for Le Monstre making it next? Actually for that matter, I've lost track of what is in the cue altogether. Any chance of a brief update???

Well, the kilowatt brothers are responsible for the progress
of the Pass Monster.

I'm just finishing up the F2 for First Watt, and expect production
in a couple of months.

I have one, maybe two articles left in the Zen series for
AudioXpress. One or both will be current sources.

Kleinhorn part 2 is done, but the writing part is not finished.

I have a nice folded QWTP enclosure that I've been using for
a number of drivers, which will eventually get an article.

I have an Adcom 555 from A. Borza and a Hafler something-or-
other from Variac both of which will be turned into surprise
projects.

I have the new Fostex FE166 with the big magnet, and I'm
playing with it this weekend, and you can expect some comment
shortly.

Our little group took a limo out on the town to the Free
Republic of Berkeley to see the Cheap Suit Serenaders featuring
Robert Crumb and Terry Zwigoff (of Ghost World fame) at the
Freight and Salvage. The group has been doing this about 30
years or so and nowadays only performs once a year. In spite
of this lack of practice, they were extremely good. No other