Zen Choices for 100v PS

I read though much of the Zen articles on FirstWatt but didn't really find what I was looking for, and I searched around a bit on the forums, but still came up lacking.

A few years ago I built the delux version of the De Lite amp using a 100v power supply and now I want to build another amp that can use that same supply. My main criteria, besides running on the 100v, is that I can get an PCB for it (even if I send files to a board maker) and it'll run 4 ohm speakers (which I have several of). I am still kind of a novice builder and haven't yet finished a BA3(just need to finish wiring it). I like exotic things though and was hoping another Zen amp would be compatible with my requirements....any suggestions? Maybe the PS can power two bridged channels of something at a lower voltage?

Worst case scenario, maybe I can still use that 800VA 75VAC transformer and modify the rest of the supply for something else that fits the above criteria?

Isn't the Zen Lite closely related to the De Lite I already built? I would rather something without more lightbulbs that I can store in a traditional amp chassis. Those lightbulbs are bright and distracting....didn't think it would be that distracting when I first built it lol. The penultimate zen (v4) works up to 80v, but could I use this 100v supply to run two bridged zen v4s at 50v each? Like parallel the boards from one power supply?

Joined 2004
Paid Member
~90V?

What is this that I have labeled 'JAMA v2'?

Attachments

• JAMA v2 SE schema.png
    JAMA v2 SE schema.png
    504.4 KB · Views: 162
If Steve is willing to reconfig the PSU he could get a 195 series hammond 50mH/10A and go choke input for circa 65VDC. This would require some simming with Duncan PSU2 to make sure it's SOA... no clacking or singing from the choke. Don't forget that it would pass DC and some AC current, summed. Plenty of threads. Best to be conservative here (50% use), the choke would unfortunately cost as much as the Antek, but it would help keep the trafo from going obsolete and could probably use the same caps. Just an idea, but it could be one heck of PSU with 800VA.

Last edited:
I did find a little bit of info about the Jama....seems it's a creation by another board member, didn't yet look further into it, want to get back to wiring the BA-3 while I have the energy lol. Another overall possibility is that I remembered (and found lol) that I still have the first transformer I bought for the De Lite - an Antek 8430....800va with a single pair of 30v secondaries, along with an 18v pair and a 12v pair. That would make a more normal ~40v V+ for an amp board.