Do you run your bias higher than spec?

Sometimes I take the cover and don’t make any adjustments - I just stare. Usually if I stare long enough, I’ll find something I could’ve done different or better. That’s how new projects are born at my house. :D

It takes a long while staring for you to identify things to improve? I only have to think about the work done iot identify it should have been redone, let alone have a look inside :cheers:

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
In fact, I have an agreement with him to take the J Zen to his shop for listening tests once it is up and running.

But beware, last persuasion in Scotland took a lot of whiskey and nagging. For 15s, I fear persuasion must be done with a combination of tools, including au naturél perhaps. Best find a suitable candidate for that :rofl:

I believe, in past - you Viking guyz were pretty successful in that area ....

why not resorting to same resources, when speakers are in case?

:clown:

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Back when the F5 was new, I asked Papa what configuration I should make my own F5 (dual output? rail V? gain/feedback?), and he suggested flogging an Adcom 5200 to figure some of that out. Over a decade later, now pointing a fan at that 5200 and getting over 20W in class A from it, and obviously making future plans for F5 turbo monblocs....!

Attachments

• casting w caps2.JPG
    casting w caps2.JPG
    795.9 KB · Views: 79
In terms of running hotter that specified bias, I have a memory of Nelson making the statement that output transistors seem to sound better and better, right up to the point where they catch fire.

i tend to set bias according to sink temp, pushing bias up until I’m no longer comfortable with hotter temps. My big Aleph-X amps run at 9A bias on +/-22v rails.