External power supplies?

Joined 2017
Paid Member
observe it as necessary local power reserve

Or just for having big cans in amp-case (washing m:devily: :) )

Sorry.

But! One thing that keeps itching me with external power-supplys is the power-switch. Depending on where the 2 chassis will be placed, it could be comfortable to add additional connections to the umbilical so that the power-switch would be in front of the device instead of somewhere (on the PSU)...

Why did you go with discrete rectifiers vs monolithic?

You might need to be logged in for the link to work properly. Also, images don’t display unless you are logged in. The only real reason that I used discrete diodes is that the diode board they are mounted on came with the cap board that I purchased from forum member Tea-Bag. So, I just used what I had. Some time ago, I purchased a whole tube of diodes, so I just used them here, too.

It has worked well for years now and is plenty power any of the first watt amps. I have a number of old tube radios that I’ve restored, so I built it bread board style.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Or just for having big cans in amp-case (washing m:devily: :) )

Sorry.

But! One thing that keeps itching me with external power-supplys is the power-switch. Depending on where the 2 chassis will be placed, it could be comfortable to add additional connections to the umbilical so that the power-switch would be in front of the device instead of somewhere (on the PSU)...

switch - put it on front of PSU case

no need for unnecessary complications

though, mains relay or solid state relay ....... easypeasy to deal with

I ran 4 wires, 3 for the bipolar power supplies and 1 for chassis. Both chassis tied the power supply ground wire to chassis ground with a thermistor. Not sure if it was necessary but I sleep well. Then I have a remote feed from my preamp tied to a power filter with a delay that feeds power to the power amp power supply. My preamps power up with a infrared remote then preset delay and amps power up.
Bill

Last edited:
Bipolar power supply 3 wires + 0 - and the forth is chassis ground. In practice you will sometimes tie the 0 to ground with a thermistor. The two chassis would be tied to each other through the thermistor if you did not use the fourth wire.
Bill

Jean-Paul
Are you saying to not use zero crossing SSR with linear power supplies?

Last edited: