Update on Pa's new F5?

In post #32, the resistors on the drains of the output FETs were intentionally introduced to provide negative feedback of the bias current instead of using optocouplers. I haven't worked out the resistor ratios needed to achieve thermal stability,

Of course, the two circuits (posts #32 and #39) can be combined:

Attachments

• F5-2021-guess-3.asc.jpg
    F5-2021-guess-3.asc.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 620
Here is a circuit based on the topology of post #32.
The first image shows a set of very good component values.
The second image show a temperature sweep from 25C to 60C of the output FETs, and the FET idle currents and the output voltage offset.
Attached is a standalone LTSpice .asc file for the circuit with parameterized values.

The inclusion of a 20Farad supercapacitor between the output FET drains makes a huge difference in the distortion levels. I do not know if the supercapacitor frequency response over the audio range is good enough or not. I am sure this will be controversial.

Attachments

• F5-2021-LHQ-2-XXX.asc.jpg
    F5-2021-LHQ-2-XXX.asc.jpg
    260.1 KB · Views: 766
  • F5-2021-LHQ-2-temp-sweep-1.jpg
    F5-2021-LHQ-2-temp-sweep-1.jpg
    422.6 KB · Views: 740
  • F5-2021-LHQ-2.asc
    6.2 KB · Views: 70
Amazing!

I need to do serious math modeling of the circuit. The F5 topology has a special property that makes it possible to model the two halves independently, since the only connections are the input, output, and ground. This cuts the math equations roughly in half.

Attachments

• F5-2021-guess-1-decomposed.asc.jpg
    F5-2021-guess-1-decomposed.asc.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 585
But the output to load is still joint.

It is a transconductance amp in open loop.
So the output is load dependent, and output voltage is sum of two currents x Load impedance.
Distortion on one half will affect the other half.
So you cannot just divide the load into two parallel halves.

And the even harmonics NFB by R9,10 only works when you recombine them into one.

Cheers,
Patrick