99% not yet test thanks 👴 papa! I’m From kediri East Java 😁 I’m enjoy diy 🤪

Attachments

• 7A32D55F-D91F-45F0-A58F-CBA21C48EC9D.jpeg
    7A32D55F-D91F-45F0-A58F-CBA21C48EC9D.jpeg
    76.6 KB · Views: 158
Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2005
Paid Member
Finally got some time to build the H2 where Nelson provided board and FETs. Thanks Nelson. Gave me a chance to try out my new toy, QuantAsylum QA403 Audio Analyzer. Looks good, with a 1db difference in the 2nd harmonic. Looks just like the picture in Nelson's writeup.

0401221713_HDR.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Joined 2008
Paid Member
H2 Update!

To satisfy my curiosity, I put a separate 12VDC SMPS in my amp with the H2 (https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/h2-v2-build.376337/post-6955224) to see if that would clear the turn off thump. I’m happy to report that it does! :cool: It’s also virtually silent. The mains hum is inaudible unless I turn the ACP+ volume WAY up (beyond any level at which I would ever listen) and pause playback.

Back in the main rig it goes for a rotation. Again, I’m very happy with this experiment. It sounds very good.

I can live with two mains plugs at the back for now. :giggle:

Attachments

• 27F661C0-7679-49E9-89CE-79330E2D366A.jpeg
    27F661C0-7679-49E9-89CE-79330E2D366A.jpeg
    373.9 KB · Views: 199
This is test #2 with a 10R resistor soldered on the back of the PCB in place of the wire jumper in test one.

The FFT does look different with the 10R resistor jumpered on the back in place of the trim pot. The H2 distortion is now down 25dB ish from the previous test.

Rather than damaging the PCB I will wait for the trim pots to arrive from Digikey to dial in the desired distortion profile.

This H2 V2 PCB is very sensitive to noise on my bench. I now have it in a 8X8X4 electrical J-Box bonded to the ground on the APx555.

Thanks DT

H2 V2  at 1 RMS outout test 3 into 10K ohms  FFT Spectrum.png

Last edited:
I am thinking most people who either made or plan to make this will be using it in the home stereo system.

I was wondering (and I apologize if it has been covered) but could this be housed in a little box with some RCA'S, so it could go in between a car audio DSP and the speakers amp? Since the 12 volts and ground will be back in the area, the little box would go that would be covered. Then to top it off, could blue tooth be wired in and have a transmitter at the front of the car to change how much H2 is being supplied? Just wondering.

Last edited:
Hello All,

This is fun playing with JFET distortion. I have been traveling for a couple of weeks.
The 12 volt (really 13Volt) gellcel battery and Triad 12 volt switching wall wart are are all now in the same place. I will be back in a day or two.

I put my notes on the table and I have a list of things to measure / adjust and then measure again.

1) see if I can get the H2 distortion dialed in higher than the H3 at 0.5Volts output at about 1% HD. I was mistaken last time and was aiming at 1Volt output. Kind of an insight here is that the JFET distortion is not really all H2 or even close. We will see what we can get by dialing in the T2 voltage a little better.

2) I am interested about what level the noise is. Is it noisy JFETS, resistors or power supply harmonics from the the switching TRIAD wall wart power supply?

Thanks DT

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
H2 Update!

To satisfy my curiosity, I put a separate 12VDC SMPS in my amp with the H2 (https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/h2-v2-build.376337/post-6955224) to see if that would clear the turn off thump. I’m happy to report that it does! :cool: It’s also virtually silent. The mains hum is inaudible unless I turn the ACP+ volume WAY up (beyond any level at which I would ever listen) and pause playback.

Back in the main rig it goes for a rotation. Again, I’m very happy with this experiment. It sounds very good.

I can live with two mains plugs at the back for now. :giggle:
von Ah, what is that Vu-meter set in your picture? Is it a phone app?

Thanks,

Jan