All amps sound the same

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
1.3% @ 1W 100Hz speaker distortion is perhaps 30dB+ higher than the DEF. You are correct that it will be very difficult to see. Thank you for sharing your findings.
As an additional note, perception of soundstage would probably be most affected by acoustic parameters around 600-2kHz.

The crossover to the horn is at 750 Hz, so I didn't want to measure in that region, and I thought I needed to measure in a region where distortion was higher, which is why the choice of 100 Hz. I'll try a higher frequency, maybe 2 kHz.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Yes those were some of the earliest works I read. In fact, I still have a floppy vinyl record somewhere with listening tests created by her which was enclosed in an issue of Audio magazine, this must have been the 80-ies or earlier!

These days the go-to book is Fastl & Zwicker, which I started to read but never finished. It's tough to plough through it, high level University research type stuff. I'm too old to keep myself focused long enough on that hard stuff. ;-)
The chapter on Just-Noticeable Sound Changes is interesting.
Jan

Last edited:
Banned/scottjoplin ii
Joined 2021
Yes, I would. I am not invested into multi-thousand dollar amps. I just want better sound. I have a pile of amps that measure better in every department and yet they are gathering dust. I also believe that measurements tell a story and are very valuable.
It's not unusual to prefer the sound of a distorting amplifier. Personally I don't think that is the role of an amplifier.

funny, they also all sound different on Klipsch Horns

:clown:

Did I hear you say Klipsch Horns??? :spin:

DJJpanBh.jpg

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
yes, KH :clown:

one of my childhood dreams

now, in fact years back - when I can make them and know how to make them ....... I'm in situation that I don't need them ( amassed so many other speakers in time)

maybe, one day ......... damn, too many things interesting me, and I'm having just 24h a day

:rofl:

(eons ago, I made for a guy having KH - complete active (2way) amplification ...... tube preamp, tube xover, tube monoblocks for upper end, refurbished/tweaked some SS amp for low end)

Last edited:

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
It's not unusual to prefer the sound of a distorting amplifier. Personally I don't think that is the role of an amplifier.

Yes, I do prefer a bit of second and third as opposed to nothing at all. I find that as long as it is low order, I cannot hear it below about 0.01% THD. The best "effect" is between 0.05% and 1%, and above that it is audible as distortion and sometimes objectionable.

To be honest, I too believed that lowest distortion is best, but as I've gotten the speakers to improve, it became apparent that lowest distortion in itself does not guarantee a musical sound. Once you hear that, you cannot go back.

Joined 2001
Paid Member
Ultra low distortion amps are just boring, it's like food with no flavor. You listen to a couple of songs.... ya, pretty good.... then go find something more interesting to do like clean out the septic tank or something. NP and the boyz here have figured out something way more interesting with the right amount, phase, type, etc. of "gasp - horrible" distortion that has you listening way into the night as you lose track of the time while being drawn into the beautiful musicality...

Ultra low distortion amps are just boring, it's like food with no flavor. You listen to a couple of songs.... ya, pretty good.... then go find something more interesting to do like clean out the septic tank or something. NP and the boyz here have figured out something way more interesting with the right amount, phase, type, etc. of "gasp - horrible" distortion that has you listening way into the night as you lose track of the time while being drawn into the beautiful musicality...
Maybe you just need the right cocktail - high distortion speakers with low distortion amplifiers could be the bomb :rolleyes:

Banned/scottjoplin ii
Joined 2021

Pass LabsAudio distortion and feedback - Pass Labs

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Explaining the sound differences by different fr response is certainly valid. I found long time ago that every time I swap an amp, I get slightly different response. Depending on amps damping factor, speakers impedance curve and so on.
However, I do eq to flat every time I make change. Still I can hear almost every amp has its own character. Mainly in portraying highs.