Nelson Pass eXperimenter's Platform (NPXP)

Closeups…thanks for the BOM Zman01!

jBryz85.jpg

r6ad5lc.jpg

Best,
Anand.

Stretchneck,

I have both the Neurochrome 286 and 686 but I have not compared them to the amp designs in the NPXP platform primarily because I like to compare similar amp topologies, one at a time. If you follow my reasoning I am currently going through the Aleph CCS output stage topologies, with the exception of the Alpha Nirvana which is inspired from Aleph but uses a totally different output stage CCS (it's the 'graduate' version of the Alpha 20).

What I will most likely do is compare single 'best' winner of the 4 designs (Aleph J, Aleph J Zen, Alpha 20 or Alpha Nirvana) to either the Modulus 286 or 686. Of course the Modulus 286 might be a more fair comparison at least from a power standpoint.

As you can imagine, it is somewhat challenging to be 'level headed' from a subjective standpoint. I have made sure that all these designs are around ~ 20dB gain however. So please take my words with a giant grain of salt!

All the best,

Anand.

P.S. I do apologize for the delays, I have had a few family emergencies to attend to and some vacation time to recuperate! Hopefully I will be back on schedule by the end of the month!

Last edited:
Hi Anand - no problems a completely understandable approach. Your efforts are very interesting and appreciated.

I will be very interested in your subjective assessment against 686, if you ever get chance would be very interesting to know how they compare with regards to soundstage size, imaging precision and if each is comparatively bright, neutral or warm.

Thanks

What I will most likely do is compare single 'best' winner of the 4 designs (Aleph J, Aleph J Zen, Alpha 20 or Alpha Nirvana) to either the Modulus 286 or 686. Of course the Modulus 286 might be a more fair comparison at least from a power standpoint.

i did not follow your full journey yet, but there are many other candidates along Papa's children that you can utilize same PSU

Single Ended territory : your Aleph J and if you love this then J2 can be your next build. F2J is also another beast

push pull candidates : M2 & F7

MauroPenasa GC that i build as 1st DIY amp as not contender to class A, it only serves me as woofer amplifier in my active setup