how to get Pass amp kits...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Pass LAB KITs

Tks a lot for pointing the PCB design web site. Its a dedicated place for nice and simple amp it seemed!
Perhaps I will try the Zen Balance. Also the Hiraga amp looked simple, probably I can build it to compare with teh MOSFET amp.
Any advise on where to get the MOSFET? also how to test for macth pairing teh MOSFET?

tks again and best rgds

William Lee

Any advise on where to get the MOSFET? also how to test for macth pairing teh MOSFET?

any information you need is provided at the passdiy website. There also some PCB and transistor packs could be ordered. Also the search function of diyaudio will give you plenty information.

For some projects PCB files are provided, so you can make your own PCB.

Some of the circuits are simple enough you better go point to point wired without PCB. There is no need to waste money for esoteric PCBs made under questionable IP condidtions.

I had some sermon about his prices in my posting, but edited it out for not beeing told it would be absolutely necessary to make high end super sonic red silcscreen PCBs that expensive, else they would not sound good. (you know, some guru members of this board sell TDA1543 DACs for something like 800 Deutschmarks...)

First, thx to NP for giving/posting all those Aleph/Zen schematics. I have just finished the "Mini-A" myself and i'm stunned. However the biggest problem a "beginner" DIY'er has these days is the pcb itself. I did NOT make the Aleph-X groupbuy myself and are therefore left out. Though ****? I'm not pleased with that. I'm also not skilled enough to make make my own pcb. However i could try. Well, at least 80% of the ppl that wanted/wants to build a Aleph-X has to figure out the pcb design itself. 1% actually does that. I agree that nobody should make money on NP's designs. KK does sell very good pcb's and has great support of it also. Why not post the gerbers instead? Then all could make their pcb's, i mean , if somebody REALLY want's to make a profit of NP's designs they will do that anyhow (based on his schematics), like diyzone.net.

My 2 öres.

/Kari

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Delete all links!!!!
BUT...... there aren't always nonprofit boards around. The aleph X
was a group buy, and I'm sure there will be some for sale if inquiries are made, but there isn't a reliable steady source for them and Aleph boards, etc. I would be honored to pay for aleph (&AX) boards if they were from PassDiy site and the price included legit rights to produce one amp.

I guess this is pin money for Nelson, but at least it would be self supporting and always available. Maybe there are legal reasons he doesn't want to sell them like he does the Pearl. Perhaps it establishes a value for the patent- I don't know

Mark

the truth of it is, the boards from the aforementioned site i named are of much higher quality than most. secondly, between the documentation, layout work, and PCB quality, he cant be making money, and if he is, its a small amount, possibly to cover just time.

not to mention he is a contributor to this forum. i just dont see anything wrong with his link on this thread.

unless of course nelson has a problem with it.

cowanrg said:
the truth of it is, the boards from the aforementioned site i named are of much higher quality than most. secondly, between the documentation, layout work, and PCB quality, he cant be making money, and if he is, its a small amount, possibly to cover just time.

not to mention he is a contributor to this forum. i just dont see anything wrong with his link on this thread.

unless of course nelson has a problem with it.

With you on this, cowanrg
;)

Trigon

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Cowrang, Trigon,

The issue here in not profit (although at $50each I find it hard to believe he's not making something). The issue is that he is selling boards using the IP of Nelson Pass and Pass Labs without their consent. He was actually asked stop selling the boards using the AX design on his site and he could post his link if he complied, but he chose not to stop and continues to sell the illegal boards.

He is still free to post on the forum if he wants to as we have not banned him, only the link to his site. Again, he chooses not to.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Kari said:
Ok,
so the Aleph-X groupbuy did get the permission to go forward. What about ALL other that wants to build the AX that did NOT make the groupbuy? So we need to buy software for 5000USD, learn it and then make a pcb?
Kari,

Nelson Pass has no problems with the DIY'er using his designs for their own use, in fact he encourages it to a fault. It get's touchy with current designs as with the Aleph-X which uses patented design elements also used in the Pass Labs XA series amps, but he still doesn't mind if it's for your own use as a DIY'er.

WRT the past group buys, the board design art work can be found in a number of threads and are free for your use. If you would like to convert them to something a PCB maker can use you only need to pose the question here on the forum. You will get answers. Many of the larger PCB makers provide free software for making your art work. You only need to look around a little.

Also, as I answered to William, there were hundreds of AX boards made. If you ask in the trading post someone may be willing to sell you a couple.

WRT Kristijan, him selling the AX boards without consent is illegal, plain and simple.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.