IMG_1912.jpg
    774.4 KB · Views: 418
  • IMG_1913.jpg
    IMG_1913.jpg
    636.5 KB · Views: 402
  • IMG_1914.jpg
    IMG_1914.jpg
    706.5 KB · Views: 403
As usual, my apologies for the confusion. If you wire the chassis to the shell of the
connector, it's redundant, as the shell connects to V- and also earth ground. The
Thermistor and lug/wire are there for the situation where the V- on the supply is
isolated.
The connections of the MeanWell GST160A36-R7B are not what I would have expected, but they are as described here so far. The AC inlet ground lug on the brick shows continuity with both the DIN cable shield and the V– pins. This is fine, but it will prevent 'stacking' another SMPS on these outputs to get a higher voltage.
If, however, some crazy person were to install one or two(!!) chassis-mount style SMPS inside an external box, then the AC inlet ground and V– would be separate and not electrically connected, provided that the installer did not make a deliberate wire connection between the two. In this case having the separate wiring between the DIN cable shield and V– on the VFET amp DC power inlet is nice to have. Options are good. ;)

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I wonder if it’s possible to mount the T channel heat spreader closer to the middle of the heatsink for more even heat distribution? It seems to be pushed to one end to make room for the FE board which doesn’t need any heatsink real estate.

Yes, you could, but it’s going to make assembly more difficult as the output stages will be more in the way of everything else. This was chosen as an aid to construction - having the outputs as far forward as possible is helpful.

As for heat, the reality is the heatsink itself doesn’t get all that hot, so ‘better’ location of the T isn’t going to change much. The TO-3 devices get pretty toasty, the T-bar is cooler, and the heatsink cooler Than the T-bar. Getting the heat out from the devices themselves is the trick, and as the devices themselves do reach an equilibrium once on for a while, they are fine.

But feel free to place it wherever you think it will work best, like I said, it’s forward to aid in assembly. If the heatsinks themselves got hot I’d think about it, but they don’t.

Joined 2019
Paid Member
I’d be curious to hear what everyone is getting for temps on their heat sinks. I believe the hottest spot on mine is 28-30C above ambient (48-50C sink; 20C ambient). The T and devices at or slightly above hottest sink temp.

Last edited:
I’d be curious to hear what everyone is getting for temps on their heat sinks. I believe the hottest spot on mine is 28-30C above ambient (48-50C sink; 20C ambient). The T and devices at or slightly above hottest sink temp.

Should there be a heat transfer pad between the T and the main heatsink or some transfer paste?
I have not got my parts yet and I don't see one used here.

Warning! HIGHLY Subjective Post! Experiences may vary.... but I sincerely hope not [emoji6]

I’m finished!, Powered up all good, set and tested on the sacrificial Bose speakers by the workbench... all good. So of course I had to take the amp up to the big rig, and I tried on two sets of horns. Still listening of course. Already know I’m going to be listening into the wee hours tonight!

First thoughts... Get building on this amp if you haven’t because it’s rather amazing.

I get chills and goosebumps with music... and I have never gotten so many of both, listening to a piece of gear before. No I’m not sick [emoji1787], perfectly healthy. Also huge thanks to Nelson, Jason, Jim, Mark, (and anyone else involved!)! Nelson really out did himself on this one... yet again!

Only digital listening so far. The amp sounds so good right from the start that it took me a while to bother playing my nerdy test/demo tracks. Now listening to the demo tracks.

This amp is creepy quiet. On 105db speakers a “quiet” amp is sorta relative. Even with a quiet amp there is usually at least a hint of something during the silence in between tracks. Not this amp! In between tracks it’s almost creepy how dead quiet it is... all I can hear is the sounds of the house which is new. This is the quietest amp I have ever heard.

There is absolutely nothing fatiguing about this amp... yet it’s freakishly detailed. Sometimes even startling. You can hear not just what is intended but also the physicality of a musician playing a note or making a sound in addition to what is intended.

In my favorite “spooky” department... this amp is spooky for days. Depending on what you’re playing the soundstage is huge and everything occupies its intended space. Everything sounds very “real”, depending on the recording.. almost 3D.

Ok... sorry non-subjective peeps... I’ll stop going on and on. I do sincerely hope other’s experience with this amp are similar to mine... because this is a happy machine. Build this amp or an iteration of it! It just outputs happy! [emoji482]

IMG_3799.jpg

IMG_3798.jpg
IMG_3796.jpg
IMG_3797.jpg