Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

DIY Sony VFET Builders thread
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old Today, 01:49 PM   #1101
Mark Johnson is offline Mark Johnson  United States
diyAudio Donor
diyAudio Member

I'm messing around with electrically-compatible, physically compatible, amp channel boards -- boards
which use semiconductor devices you can buy today from Mouser (i.e. NOT VFETs).

Because the boards are electrically-compatible, they use the same single ended power supply:
+36V,GND. So they have an output coupling capacitor, just like the lottery VFET cards. Here's
one such amp channel board, the capacitor is ten millifarads, 50 volts, snap-in terminals @ 10mm
lead spacing.

The white thing at lower left is a Relentless front end card. Click on the image to see it full
size and undistorted.

DIY Sony VFET Builders thread-cappy-jpg

What??!? (you may be thinking) Are those connectors I see on the board? Do you mean
the I/O wires aren't soldered???

_
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cappy.JPG (477.5 KB, 47 views)

Last edited by Mark Johnson; Today at 02:02 PM. Reason: wrap text
Old Today, 02:07 PM   #1102
juanitox is offline juanitox  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEPER View Post
The 10.000 uF output cap will be very close to its ESR value already at relative low frequencies so a small bypass cap is "nonsense". If the output cap is audio grade quality it will stay at its ESR at 20 kHz and higher frequencies and then from a point raise in impedance caused by the inductance. I guess the ESR for such a cap is maybe 10-15 mohm? .....try to calculate the impedance of the small bypass cap at 20 KHz and compare to 10-15 mOhm.
as the perfect audiofool i have put a russian 30uf PIO here and it seems it doesn't harm at all
Old Today, 02:11 PM   #1103
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Johnson View Post

What??!? (you may be thinking) Are those connectors I see on the board? Do you mean
the I/O wires aren't soldered???

_

well, I'm not even grumpy when I say that I despise that .........

but, I'm not letting my Despise ruining someone's Happiness

Old Today, 03:00 PM   #1104
Mark Johnson is offline Mark Johnson  United States
diyAudio Donor
diyAudio Member

Naturally it is easy and simple to NOT stuff the FastOn 6.35mm (1/4 inch) blade connectors. When you omit those, there are big-fat-wire thru-holes to assist a hardwired and soldered connection. See arrows on image below.

It is also easy and simple to NOT stuff the Euro style screw cage terminal block. Just solder your input twisted pair or input coax cable, to the IN and GND pads where the termblok would go.

_
Attached Images
File Type: png bdoink.png (19.6 KB, 7 views)
  Reply to this post

DIY Sony VFET Builders threadHide this!Advertise here!