Which Pass Amp to build F5/F6/Or anything else?

Regarding the ba3 preamp as anyone tested it with fqp or irfp610 9610 mosfet? Does it sound a lot worse than the original with Toshiba mosfets?

Not really but i had a BA-3 with BA-2 output stage that had Toshibas. Now I have a balanced BA-3 preamp with fpq. Cannot really compare since it is not the same setup. The later sounds great but I do not now how it would sound with toshibas.

Joined 2019
Paid Member
Sounding better is always a tricky bit... so, I'll steer away. However, in the BA-3 amp thread, Ozorfis published some measurements that I found compelling. In addition, one person that I trust very much has said that the Toshiba parts do in-fact contribute to a more pleasing experience when all other things (like P3/H2) remain equal.

FWIW, I sourced some Toshiba parts to replace my Fairchild parts to give them a try. I love the BA-3, so much that I can't really imagine it sounding any better, but we are DIYers after all. :D

tl;dr - I think if you can get a hold of the Toshibas at a price that is reasonable to you, then they are most likely worth it. I'll know soon enough.

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I am really surprised you don't need a boost in the high freq above 7khz where the horn has less sensitivity!

Maybe it is because you put the crossover cap after the Lpad?

No, there is droop because of the constant directivity horn, but the FIR correction compensates for it.

And as I look at how I implemented it, the L-Pad is next to the driver, after the cap. I think that might be an older XSIM version or maybe I didn't save the final. But the component values are the same (except the L-pad).

You do first a FIR EQ and then a MS EQ?

Yes. Any boosting is done after the convolution because convolution reduces the RMS level. So, boosting is less likely to result in hard digital clipping. Almost always I am far away from it.

Regarding the ba3 preamp as anyone tested it with fqp or irfp610 9610 mosfet? Does it sound a lot worse than the original with Toshiba mosfets?

Mine is with FQP FETs. Seems like Toshibas would be worth trying if you can find them. But no reason to hold back. FQPs are just fine. Nelson mentions them in his article and shows the adjustments needed when using them (mainly using 1k pots instead of 500R).

Last edited:
To sum up, F4 is fantastic amp, drives anything, has essentially no sound of it’s own, has no gain, sounds exactly like your preamp because that’s what’s actually providing the voltage swing.

Thanks for pointing that out! Additional pre-amp with higher voltage swing is out of scope for now. So in the end it is going to be Aleph J.

Penny for Penny, if cost is a concern and if you have standard 8 Ohm speakers then I cannot recommend the Aleph J highly enough.

It is easy to build with no complicated component matching or awkward to get parts.

The Aleph 4 is also an impressive amp but requires careful matching of the output Mos-Fets.

I agree with the simplicity of Aleph J. Don't we need matched output MOSFETs even for Aleph-J? Should the four IRFP240's of Aleph-J be matched?

The BA-3 has an even more accurate tone and just seems more free. And the imaging is absolutely amazing. It has a way of casting the soundstage that is extremely pleasing. I am now a believer about songs having a right and wrong polarity. Not all of them, but definitely a majority of them. And the coupling capacitor also makes a big difference. These differences were previously either inaudible or much less audible. Previously strident recordings, especially of horns in a symphony, which could get annoying after a certain SPL now can be played much louder, more than 6 db louder without issue. You still get the shrillness of a horn, it's full tone is there, but somehow it is cast in the soundstage and you can hear it for what it is.

Care to share what coupling caps you settled on?

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
^that is precisely the reason why I have always thought caps cannot possibly be audible. But BA-3 pre has changed that. My listening is not blind, but neither am I wedded to any particular cap or the most expensive one. In fact, so far, the most expensive one is at the bottom of the heap.

I'll just say this: I started with a Nichion audio grade electrolytic, but a Dayton film cap was a vast improvement over it. And others have been better too. The professional film caps, from Wima, Dayton, Vishay, and even the Russian FT-3, sound similar--very professional and "right." But the boutique ones have a sound, almost because they have to.

Anyway, this is a touchy subject and beside the point, which is that the BA-3 is really good and has been very revealing in my setup.

Joined 2019
Paid Member
"Best" seems to be a tricky word. A nice, simple, and effective, way is to mimic the process described in this article. You can do it exactly as described or increase the voltage and current to closer reflect operating parameters for the amp you're building.
For FW amps, I use ~24V and ~0A33. It's been effective for me. Others will likely use different (and possibly even better) methods.

PassDiy

YMMV.

Interesting article!

My normal listening levels are rarely over 90 dBA for music. I could not actually measure background noise level in my room, because my SPL meter says it is approx 27dBA at night but the problem is that it is below its advertised lower threshold which is 32dBA. But I have been to a couple of recording studios that are eearily quiet. May be their background noise is in single digits dBA?