DIY Sony VFET lottery discussion

Number 183 arrived safely home today after its backpacking trip through Europe. Only a minor blem on a corner of one heatsink, easily cleaned up with a few strokes of a file.

Attachments

• IMG_0200.JPG
    IMG_0200.JPG
    115.5 KB · Views: 767
Thanks! The V-Fet inspires me to pamper it some more. Just bought some nice Jantzen alumen crossover caps.

I built it in on the balcony in a tiny appartment in Oslo. The midrange horn goes down straight to 270Hz where I highpass it at BW48dB. It was inspired by JMLC Iwata-220. A Raal tweeter in a deep horn from my own twisted mind, takes over at 2500Hz. Here is a Raw measurement from 30cm and overall measurement from 3 meters. The small horn makes the Raal sound like a midrange driver. The midbass will be replaced with a midrange horn with a Fane 8" as soon as I have the space. Subwoofer is just a
sealed Eminence Lab12, that does 35Hz and measures horribly.
I am going to do some changes and add a second compression driver in a smaller horn to releave the Raal from midrange duty. Hopefully that will let Raal go higher. Otherwise "EQ boost button, were art thou?!" And ofc build a midbass horn and bass.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210817-201137.png
    Screenshot_20210817-201137.png
    788.1 KB · Views: 615
  • Screenshot_20210817-202610.png
    Screenshot_20210817-202610.png
    216.8 KB · Views: 614
Last edited:
Joined 2006
Paid Member
I was informed there would be a "round 3" which would be kits with everything minus the VFETs, for those of us that own some already. Encouraging us to not participate in the first 2 rounds, so those without VFETs would be able to get in on the action.

Assuming round 3 goes on without a hitch, I can see them selling the bare boards, and chasses in the DIYAudioStore. Also, assuming I get in on round 3, I'm hoping to get a black chassis to build a power supply in. (not a clue how that will look at this point)

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
We have been very slowly and carefully dealing with the tail end of round 2.

We have had to be very careful not to oversell the 90 units, which would have been easy considering we issued 3 waves of invitations, some people needed time for payment or delayed shipping, people replied late, we had to also try to contact people via PM if we couldn't reach them by (outdated) email addresses, etc. Next time we'll have some improved processes to simplify things.

A particular issue that arose was that if a member was on our email suppression list and didn't know it, they would not been getting any emails from diyAudio's forum software, and therefore would not have got an email notification from this lottery discussion thread. We've since created a suppression list removal tool for people to get off the suppression list, and anyone who was on it would have seen a popup at the top of their diyAudio homepage asking them if they want to fix the problem. In the past 2 weeks since we activated this feature dozens of people have used this tool to ensure mail is getting through to them.

Long story short - we did not have any shipping errors this time as we made international shipments go via DHL Express (excellent service), and #89 and #90 are going to Milkduds and Doolav, and that wraps up round 2.

VFETless round 3 pre-order will open as soon as we have confirmation from Nelson on the designs, no ETA yet "It won't happen overnight, but it will happen!". If you have VFETs and would like to receive emails about round 3 you can sign up to a special interest list for this now using the diyAudio Special Interest List widget. It will check you can receive emails from us, remove you from the suppression list if you're on it, and email you a confirmation email to confirm you're subscribed to the list. You are therefore as good as guaranteed you will get an email as can be possible :)

Sorry that progress has been a little slow, but most energy at the moment is being directed towards the upcoming platform migration which is our #1 priority for the short term. VFET round 3 is #2 priority, and then there are hundred things behind that :)

Last edited: