DIY Sony VFET lottery discussion

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Kindly use this thread to discuss anything about the lottery or distribution process.

To keep the main discussion thread on-topic, posts in that thread that would be better situated here will (slowly) be moved here.

----------------------------------------
How to enter:

1. Read the VFET Store Information Page
  2. Please go to diyaudio.com/vfet before the window opens
  3. You will be automatically redirected to the right thread 1-6 minutes after the lottery opens, to help spread server load. Please wait to be redirected. Thank you for your compassion!
  4. Post one short and sweet message ("In!" is fine...). Please wait until the window closes before making another post in the forum.

We're taking a "Hope for the best, plan for the worst" approach. We'll be monitoring the server and if it has any issues, the event will be extended until there's a full 15 minutes without issues. Additionally, if our database connection limit is hit (which prevents the server from overloading), you'll be provided an off-site link to enter.

----------------------------------------
Further reading and discussion:

Last edited:
Very beautiful news indeed.
Just for future plans, are those boards to be used with Tokin SITs aswell?

Papa informed us -greedy boyz- that he has plans for big Tokins, and if it's coming after the Sony adventure, I'd be happy to give my lottery slot to somebody after Sony Vfet madness.

papa, happy 20, and thanks for keeping us busy :snail:

Joined 2004
Paid Member
As I have said in the article, the Vfet is a prima donna, and each has an environment that brings the best performance. So yes, you can use the part 2 circuit as presented but you are better off with some variations that will be explored. This will be true for the 2sk60 and 2sj18 as well.

Everyone is certainly and understandably excited but if you aren't fortunate enough to participate in the initial offerings, don't feel as if there is no hope. Better things are yet to come, they just might not be in kit form.

Understand that you will have the best experience with this project with higher efficiency speakers and don't expect it to rattle the windows as it's a 10W design.

Everybody can win. If you are someone who just joined recently and want to hedge your bets, it might be a good idea to obtain a couple of pairs of 2sk60 and 2sj18 while these remain available or heed Papa's warning and grab a pair of Tokin SITs.

Best of luck to everyone!

Joined 2002
Paid Member
I think of this release as the first in new explorations and variations.

My guess is you'll want to try the later designs with the Tokins even if you're fortunate
enough to obtain a kit through this lottery.

Thank you to Papa and Jason for making this available.

And good luck to all who will participate in the lottery.
:cheers:

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Great news! Thanks Nelson and DIYaudio!

But am I the only person that didn't know you *could* be a paid subscriber? Oops :eek:

Probably should have contributed over the years given all the enjoyment that this site (and it's sponsors and posters) have given me!