Scourge, Bulwark, Marauder, Dreadnought "front end" cards for DIY VFET amp

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
You'll have to ask Nelson directly, as he's the only person who has heard both versions, and he's notoriously tight-lipped about describing subjective differences...

So just build the Token version and be happy, it's going to be awesome - as those who have built amps with that device are very pleased with it!

All these front-ends will drive it as well, and that's cool. :yes:

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Wowzers the HMS Relentless reminds me of 1960's art and pop culture

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

(Pucci dress // supermodel Twiggy // Laugh-In TV star Goldie Hawn)

_

Attachments

• pucci1.jpg
    pucci1.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 1,773
  • twiggy1.jpg
    twiggy1.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 1,786
  • goldie1.jpg
    goldie1.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 1,770
Last edited:
Yep, the dazzle paint job on the Relentless was characteristic of the inter-war period, and carried forward into early WWII.

The Scourge circuit reminds me of one of my favorite cards for the M2x. Wonder how that happened? ;) The Bullwark front end reminds me of an early vacuum tube preamp. Inverted, of course. The PCB form factor looks like it has plenty of room for an old-timey tube circuit. A twin triode of some sort (6922 / E88CC) followed by high voltage bi-polars to drive the transformer.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Load the Bulwark gerbers into a free Gerber Viewer program of which there are several dozen online. Read the text on the Back Silk Screen layer. Its genealogy is written there for all to see. Depending on the featureset of your Viewer, you may want a mirror to help you read the text on the back of the board. Or do a screen-grab, load into Paint, and tell Paint to Flip Horizontal.

Me, I prefer www dot pcbxprt dot com because (a) it runs in your browser so there's no software install ; (b) they don't ask you to Register or to type your email address for their newsletter and advertisements.

_

Last edited:
Separate supply for MARAUDER?

Meant to type DREADNAUGHT /...

Seems like it would not be much more difficult than to simply have a separate supply for the stage and skip the booster?

What is the voltage the booster supplies?

Unless there is a reason this dilettante would not know (being a dilettante) you chose the booster for reasons other than the convenience of having only one raw supply? I presume the booster is also regulating the voltage - how critical is the quality of the regulation?

Plan on using this before the TOKIN after Ing. Pass shows us how to do it.

We are lucky you enjoy audio!

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
The whole concept of tweeking the input stage by merely switching cards is perfect from a system matching perspective. That's a great tool for the hobbyist who try to voice his system to his taste.
The First Watt M2x had it three years ago, here on this Forum and also in the diyAudio Store.

Let's consider the following three comments together, as a package:

Any chance a front end card that allows DIP8 OpAmp rolling will come out for this amp? Or at least an AD797 specific card?

The PCB form factor looks like it has plenty of room for an old-timey tube circuit. A twin triode of some sort (6922 / E88CC) followed by high voltage bi-polars to drive the transformer.

A Nutube version would be cool! And certainly would fit this forum :D

What do these have in common? What thought pops into your head? Sometimes the general solution is easier to discover, than a solution for one specific case. Has the penny dropped?

Go to rot13.com and ask it to decode this character string:

TENAQQNHTUGRE OBNEQ --> QNHTUGRE OBNEQ --> ZBGURE OBNEQ

Surprising that nobody has independently thought of this yet.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
@RafaPolit, I don't work for the Store and I am not authorized to speak for the Store either . . . . . .

But I'm sure they are thinking VERY carefully about whether or not to sell these four additional Front End boards as bare PCBs, and I'm sure they are also thinking carefully about whether or not to create and sell parts kits for these four boards. I think if you sent a kind AND BRIEF email to the store, expressing your desire for boards or kits or both, they would be very glad to have your opinions and purchase preferences.