Scourge, Bulwark, Marauder, Dreadnought "front end" cards for DIY VFET amp

Thanks for the pointers. I was already thinking of replacing the Darlington with a high Beta NPN; the 2SC3852 looks good here. Other recommendations will be tried as well.
I saved the earlier folders for the FE cards with the input rectifiers on the supply connector. My common drain amps are likely to run between 0V and –30V, so the ambidextrous power inlet may be very handy.

I'm listening!

Attachments

• IMG_4606.jpg
    IMG_4606.jpg
    973.7 KB · Views: 264
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Congratulations @ura1012 !! It sure looks like you did an excellent job building those Bulwark, Marauder, and Dreadnought boards. I think you'll really enjoy discovering their sonic similarities and differences, and I'm very glad you're able to listen to both categories of Front End board: without, and with, an Edcor step-up transformer.

Well done.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
The kits are coming shortly for the output stages for people with Vfets (and other TO-3
power Fets). They are compatible with Mark's boards and power supply filters, so this is a good
time to acquire those.
Matched quad THF-51S on the shelf - Check. Bulwark and Dreadnaught kits order placed - Check. Is the
PSU filter board sold out in the store, or am I looking at the wrong thing?

Joined 2011
Paid Member
The standalone PSU filter board that's sold out in the store, is discussed in this thread:

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...all-warts-preamps-hpa-korg-nutube-etc.354213/
As post#1 of that thread says, it's designed to be used in line level equipment. Not power amplifiers. However if you do a little math on the rated output of your SMPS, which you intend to use for your VFET power amp, you may discover that TWO of those boards (one servicing the left channel, the other servicing the right channel) would operate within their spec constraints (current < 3 amperes) AND (voltage < 48 volts).

Joined 2011
Paid Member
The standalone PSU filter board that's sold out in the store, is discussed in this thread:

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...all-warts-preamps-hpa-korg-nutube-etc.354213/
As post#1 of that thread says, it's designed to be used in line level equipment. Not power amplifiers. However if you do a little math on the rated output of your SMPS, which you intend to use for your VFET power amp, you may discover that TWO of those boards (one servicing the left channel, the other servicing the right channel) would operate within their spec constraints (current < 3 amperes) AND (voltage < 48 volts).
Thank you Mark. Will those boards be available again soon?

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Disregard. I’ll follow your advice and will order from a PCB fab house.
Disregard. I’ll follow your advice and will order from a PCB fab house using the gerber files you have generously provided. Thanks!

I like the new names. These are familiar from reading history and watching many documentaries.
Several new circuit topologies are intriguing as well. I was in the midst of re-playing the set of M2x input stages after rebuilding my amp with a proper dual-mono power supply when the announcement was made. There is certainly some overlap between the two sets, but plenty of new material as well.

:up:

• Bulwark board kit for sale. Received in December but I decided not to go ahead with it. In original box in perfect condition Al parts have been checked for values and quantity. And marked in the labels. Shipping by USPS priority which can be set at $10 in addition to the board price. $95.
    Thanks for looking.

Joined 2018
Paid Member
So what do you do when you have:
  • One pair of front end PCBs in your VFET amp
  • Other pair(s) idle on the shelf
  • A second system in the house
  • Some time to experiment

You make a preamp jig using VFET F/E cards for gain stages.

I used an Antek donut, Salas SSLV1.3 UltraBiB shunt regulator (positive rail only) set to 36V, eBay chassis, a selector switch, and Alps pot. This build also encouraged me to get a ferrule crimper. Why did I wait so long for that nice tool?

Bulwark is installed now, and it's sounding great into my Aleph 30 monos and JBL4410 monitors. Test music is Eilen Jewell. I would have finished this build last night, but I saw her play a fantastic set.

Attachments

• 66B0DD78-9D2E-407E-AB2C-4F25804222DF.jpeg
    66B0DD78-9D2E-407E-AB2C-4F25804222DF.jpeg
    597 KB · Views: 167
  • 7D00D828-B4F4-4DF3-945D-084E5C782B72.jpeg
    7D00D828-B4F4-4DF3-945D-084E5C782B72.jpeg
    589.1 KB · Views: 170
  • D442F405-A32A-459C-BD32-377D94AB3FDD.jpeg
    D442F405-A32A-459C-BD32-377D94AB3FDD.jpeg
    453.5 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Joined 2018
Paid Member
Thats fantastic, may I know what value of R1 did you target on the Salas Ultra BiB 1.3 psu for the current requirement on these Bulwark line stage boards?

Thanks

I used 2R. Here is my logic.

I measured the current of the boards in my FET amp. These were the Marauders. I think I saw inrush of ~100mA, and steady state at 30 or 35mA. 100mA x 2 for inrush + 50 for Salas. 600/250 = 2.4R

I have a 2R/3W Panasonic in my stash. Close enough.

I didn't measure the "stock" board current or Bulwarks. I rolled the dice. I figure there's the inrush and 2R is well over for steady state. Everything worked perfectly on power up with no smoke, so I'll call it good.

Reactions: 1 user
I am late to the game. Life has been cruel these past years.

Each Front End card contains a bridge rectifier of four diodes, connecting to the incoming power supply. This somewhat weird arrangement makes the FrontEnd cards compatible with future VFET amplifiers which Nelson Pass has not yet publicly released.

No quasimodo snubber though? :D Not sure what's the purpose of these though. I am still catching up

BTW the gerbers on the first post do not include the diodes. At least the scourge and the bullwark which I checked. Unless my viewer messes up somehow

Attachments

• Screenshot_(11).png
    Screenshot_(11).png
    93.1 KB · Views: 79
  • Screenshot_(12).png
    Screenshot_(12).png
    112.4 KB · Views: 72
Joined 2011
Paid Member
BTW the gerbers on the first post do not include the diodes. At least the scourge and the bullwark which I checked. Unless my viewer messes up somehow

Great catch! The diodes were eliminated* in June of 2021, see post #141 of this thread for more discussion. The Gerbers and schematics attached to the first post, include this revision. And so do the boards+kits sold in the diyAudio store.

I'll attempt to eradicate mentions of the now-gone diodes, from the early post(s).

*for example, on the Scourge PCB they occupied the now-blank area to the left of the text "SCOURGE" in your plot of #317.

Last edited:
Joined 2018
Paid Member
Gary,

All Aluminum amplifier chassis Hifi Enclosure preamplifier case 425x70x313mm
Seller: snjh1820

https://www.ebay.com/itm/353170288213

I kept the minimalist look with no markings on the selector switch. I have a 4 way switch, but only use 2 sources on this setup. If it's quiet - click, music, done....

For the volume knob I just took a punch and put a dot on it. Simple.

4 hours after building a Goldpoint attenuator arrived in the mail. Out with the Alps, in with the Goldpoint.

Attachments

• 7AD32070-45BB-4E1B-AFB7-DD74AAAEE2D8.jpeg
    7AD32070-45BB-4E1B-AFB7-DD74AAAEE2D8.jpeg
    656.9 KB · Views: 121
  • 276119A5-4D73-43A1-998E-C89A1DDFA3E6.jpeg
    276119A5-4D73-43A1-998E-C89A1DDFA3E6.jpeg
    417.4 KB · Views: 114