DIY Sony VFET pt 1

Are you referring to the P channel VFET circuit which was just released?

That is not a mu follower / SEPP - the mosfet is a constant current source.

I don't recall doing a mu follower Sony. I considered it, but the 2SJ28
likes a constant current source with an 8 ohm load, as does the 2SK82,
the next version up.

Ah, my error.
I reasoned falsely :irked: that there was a slight modulation of the source because of the 'tap' of the output on the south side of the R1 resistor. But now I relook at it, indeed, only tapping on the north side or halfway would make it into a MU-stage like the ACA.​

By the way, does a source-follower with a SIT specifically match best with a CCS feed - in the sense that this will also be the case with the 2SK180/2SK182 in this same topology?
albert

Depends on load impedance and what harmonic profile and Ids and Vds.

Mu follower multiplies load impedance.

• Typical desired impedance for 2sk82 or 2sj28 is about 8 Ohms.
  • Typical impedance for 2sk182es is more like 16 Ohms

Does that imply that a 2SK182 'likes,' or matches good with, a transformer 32/8 ohm?
And that with a mu stage 8 ohms looks like maybe 16 ohms (i.e. easier to drive the lower ohmic valued load)?

Too many variables . . . both I and V, and R, for any conclusions on my side. LTSpice easily gives me output, but that is quite different from the real field experiments.

Thanks.
I hope there will be a bare Mu-follower board in the shop to work with.
In case the 2SK180/182 is used as source follower, then the load would be a CCS like the 2SJ28 and the expected 2SK82 versions, I reckon, the output impedance being lower.

[My bricolage is error-prone and I dare not pass my builds to others.]​

Unmatched 2SK82

Considering chances of me getting the kit from lottery are slim to none, I managed to get two 2SK82 in preparation when VFET-less kits are available for sale.

Both 2SK82 have different production codes (KD-33 and KE-33) and when I tested on LockyZ curve tracer, the result is clearly unmatched V-Fets (curve is attached).

The Vgs difference is approximately 2 volts, but they both showing pretty close linearity.

Looking at the schematic and description in the documentation, I think the Vgs difference can be compensated by adjusting P1.

Would there be any other issues for building this VFET with these unmatched K82s?

Attachments

• 2SK82.jpg
    2SK82.jpg
    334.8 KB · Views: 629
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Looking at the schematic and description in the documentation, I think the Vgs difference can be compensated by adjusting P1.

I think so too. If you run out of adjustment range on P1, you might be forced to replace R8 (27K) with a resistor half as big, perhaps 12K. I'd suggest soldering R8 in such a way as to make it very easy and low-risk to unsolder & replace it. Leave R8's leads exactly perpendicular to the PCB, etc.

_

Attachments

• sch.png
    sch.png
    70.5 KB · Views: 594
Joined 2000
Paid Member
It would be nice to know what my diets missing out on.

Interesting choice of words.

I borrowed the DIY Sony VFET from SRMcGee (Thank you Scott!) and just finished listening to it a few minutes ago.
Been swapping it out in and out for 5 days.
One special attribute of the amp is its ability to let your hear in between the notes. In other words- What you're missing out on.
It serves up a more complete version of the music I have been listening to for months now.

Only compared against simulated J2 with unbalanced inputs. Notice I didn't say J2 or J2 clone.

Last edited: