DIY Sony VFET pt 1

DIY Sony VFET is single ended, it is not push pull. . . .

To me the VFET V1 is . . . SEPP.

That is, the pull-part is the mu-stage.
By carefull tuning the Mu-stage gets a different harmonic signature than the bottom part feeding the current. That tuning depends on the S (Siemens) of the device on top. And must be done catering for the feed from the bottom.
Nelson Pass is a wizard in being able to do that blending.

The Mu does not know :boggled: whether the bottom is drain or source loaded. [The VFET neither - I asked the guy :eek:]

How would you compare your 300B to your DIY Sony VFET? I'm guessing the PP provides a bit more authority than the SE 300B?

yes, diy sony vfet has more control and better timing than my 300b, especially in the low frequencies region. i reported my impressions in " Sony Vfet Illustrated build guide "

in the past 6 months i have been listing only with the 300b, but i am sure by end of the year i will switch again for a while back to diy sony vfets. there is always something magical with 300b i can not describe which makes you addicted to it. the sound stage is some how more "rich" (H2 ?) and even the sound might have some colouration but it is at the same time so warm and appealing. for sure the selection of the tubes makes difference in sound quality as always. for 300b i have been using western electric, emission labs (and full music), and i like the WE the most. a friend of mine described the difference between the emission labs and the WE as " arriving home after a very nice vacation" :)

i am very looking forward to build the SE diy sony vfet pt1 and hope the next lottery gives me the chance ;)

best regards

Attachments

• amp1h_k.jpg
    amp1h_k.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 471
mr_whocares,

That is a unique looking 300B amp you have there - I am guessing mono-blocks?

yes, monoblocks designed by Dick van de Merwe.

Triodedick Ceasar II 300B SE versterker - Audio Creative

i have heard some very good 300b implementations and dick's "ceasar " is surely one of them.

my enclosure design is half ready :). it should get an aluminium "outer housing" matching to my CD player design (see attached rendered photo), but since i do not hear CDs any more :) i preferred to stay with the copper inner housing and save money for other projects :)

ps. sorry everybody fo the off-topic!

Attachments

• amp1h_k copy.jpg
    amp1h_k copy.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 434
The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
To me the VFET V1 is . . . SEPP.

Are you referring to the P channel VFET circuit which was just released?

That is not a mu follower / SEPP - the mosfet is a constant current source.

I don't recall doing a mu follower Sony. I considered it, but the 2SJ28
likes a constant current source with an 8 ohm load, as does the 2SK82,
the next version up.