DIY Sony VFET pt 1

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Accumulate your frequent flyer miles, stay here in my Guest Bedroom (75 minutes from Burning Amp), ride to/from the Festival in my car. Cheap airfare, free hotel, what's not to like? Am offering this package to several people, only have 1 Guest Bedroom, make Firm Binding Commitment quickly or lose out.

Chassis came today #51. Apparently Fedex decided to play football with my chassis and there was a huge gash in the box exposing one of the heatsinks. Fortunately there was just a very small nick on a fin, which I am fairly confident that I can hide.

I finished the boards tonight and I don’t have a prototype board so the + sign for C1 is towards the metal as it should be. Quitting for tonight, time foe a beer and to listen to some music. I want to stretch out this build and savor it. Once again thanks to all, who made this happen!

IMG_3721.jpg

I forgot about the GST/PST:hypno1: Normally I would have items sent to Canada for my father to bring over to NZ but $250USD is well over the revised $100 duty free threshold; + $250 on chassis from Italy.

I take it back, no complaints on the $130 USD shipping to NZ as there no GST applied to incoming goods on 'small suppliers'. However the difference in extra shipping cost pretty much equals the difference if I had it sent to Canada or NZ.

Hey Super - unless Im mistaken - the revised GST threshold for NZ is $1000NZD. We shouldnt be paying any GST on this (unless of course you ordered the case too, so that total amount, plus shipping cost, converted to NZD may well be over $1000NZD).

I didnt order the case, I am too broke now.....ha ha...but; pretty sure I wont need to pay GST on this once it arrives....

slimecity said:
Hey Super - unless Im mistaken - the revised GST threshold for NZ is $1000NZD. We shouldnt be paying any GST on this (unless of course you ordered the case too, so that total amount, plus shipping cost, converted to NZD may well be over $1000NZD).

I didnt order the case, I am too broke now.....ha ha...but; pretty sure I wont need to pay GST on this once it arrives....

Yes the past year i've been making lots of purchases as the $1,000 NZD threshold makes buying more attractive than the previous minimum $50 GST charge (or more than $333NZD of value = need broker). As you know shipping keeps going up so we get screwed with GST on that portion. In Canada paid postage is not part of the GST/PST calculation.

1 x 2021 DIY Sony VFET - VFET Chassis for $259.00 each
1 x 2021 DIY Sony VFET - VFET Parts Kit (AU Plug) for $259.00 each
Discounts : $-19.00 USD
Subtotal : $499.00 USD
Shipping : $128.46 USD
Total : $627.46 USD

Recent USD/NZD exchange is around $0.70 so i'm well under the threshold and when I compare to having the same order sent to Canada, (where others are paying $50 USD on taxes), the $128 USD to NZ is not so bad.

NZ went a different way in trying to collect GST by enforcing online merchants to registered, collect, & remit the tax to NZ IRD tax dept. So places like eBay / AliExpress have sellers on even the smallest value gets hit with GST. But when someone or a small supplier sends product to NZ (outside of those major online portals), there's no tax up to $1000 in value. Different to in Canada where regardless of who sends, the import tax is paid based on the declared value and the shipper is stuck collecting and remitting the tax to CRA (though Amazon / eBay the tax is often paid through 'check-out').

You can always order the chassis later.

Big thanks to Nelson Pass for this gift of a project. I also really enjoy certain contributors to this thread for their entertaining literary comments. From the ongoing “Does it drive F4?” to “Audio Nervosa” (NP), “Greedy Boys” (ZM) and especially Mark Johnson’s deliciously wicked musings. Cadmium Yellow! I’m chuckling even though I read that days ago. Sort of like burping an hour after an epic meal, the feint aroma and taste allow you to relive it.

On to the reason for my post. This greedy-boy, who suffers from audio nervosa was wondering what the minimum voltage rating is for C2 (the DC blocking cap between jFets and Ecdor) on the Front End? I’d like to use a Silmic II there.

Second, compared to the schematic on pg5 of the article, the pcb has switched the positions of R1 and C1. If C1 blocks incoming DC, is R5 (“bleeds DC to prevent thumps”) needed?