DIY Sony VFET pt 1

Joined 2018
Paid Member
Are there any benefits to matching the 2 Sony VFETs in this design? I'm guessing it's not necessary based on what I read in the doc, but it does say that transistor matching "is nice".

Either way, I'd imagine matching VFETs for the kits would be... quite tedious. lol

Joined 2011
Paid Member
As mentioned in the last paragraph on page 2 of Nelson's .pdf document, attached to post #1 in this thread, there are four more "front end" cards for this amplifier. These are shown in the photo below.

Clockwise from top left, the cards are named Scourge, Bulwark, Dreadnought, and Marauder. Thread viewers who are familiar with British warships of the last 100 years, may recognize some of those names.

Two of these front end cards include Edcor PC600-15K interstage transformers, and two of them do not. All of them include large polypropylene input coupling capacitors, easily seen as large rectangles in either teal color (KEMET F461 capacitors) or black (Panasonic ECWFE capacitors).

I'll provide more details, discussion, schematics, and photos in a couple days. For now, simply treat this photo as potential evidence that the other 4 front end cards which Nelson talked about, actually do exist today.

Click on the thumbnail image, and then click again on the white "X" cross at bottom left, to see everything at full magnification.

_
_

Attachments

• High_Res_4_Boards_for_the_public.jpg
    High_Res_4_Boards_for_the_public.jpg
    654.3 KB · Views: 2,089
Last edited:
4x times more fun! Thanks Mark. And of course thanks to Nelson to his continued generosity to us lucky few.

Question for Mark/Nelson: because of the limited number of kits available, will the various front end cards be applicable to other SIT designs beside the imminent release for Sony Vfets? My impression is yes, but I'd like Mark's verification and comment. Thanks. - David