Aleph J vs Schiit Aegir

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Happy weekend everyone!

Just was having a sort of thought - maybe some of you seasoned folks can shed some light. I recently picked up a pair of these Aegirs, to see what all the fuss is about. I have to say, I was most impressed with two of them as monoblocks feeding my relatively inefficient (86db) speakers in a small room. It was a striking difference in quality and detail that I was surprised to notice.

After a moment's thought, I realized this was the first time I'd run a fully balanced setup DAC balanced out, to balanced pre, balanced out - to the Aegir's XLR inputs (only available when used as monoblocks.)

It stands to reason I'm not moving through all that many watts - though this is measurable. Previously I'd seen I was peaking on bass-heavy tracks around 12 watts peak. So I'm trying to better understand what might be bringing such a dramatic improvement in sound.

And, naturally, one begins to wonder, should I really build an Aleph J? Nothing like a DIYers mind to boot. I bring this up since at $800 for a single, it's tough to argue against it, but a pair of these at 1600 plus tax and postage, does get you into a different category expense-wise, and begs for some consideration.

The big win here, of course, is what I'm hearing so far, and for that I am thankful!

Gee. Not really a question one can answer because it is objective and mileage may vary.

For me, as a DIY'er, it's all personal preference depending what you want out of the money spent, performance per dollar, what knowledge and skills one has, the work involved, the planning, and the experience. I could have easily bought everything on-line with a credit card and wait for the delivery guy to drop it all off, but I chose not to because I can. I also enjoy the hobby and find it relaxing when I have the time. At the same time, I would love to own a vintage Luxman tube amp which I would have to buy.

I am in the throes of building a second desktop/battlestation for my oldest kid. The one he has will be flowed down to the younger kid and that hand me down is still extremely capable to run the power hungry games they are playing. I get to choose the brand, make, and grade of components from the case to the graphics card and where I want to spend or save the money that could be going towards some vacuum tubes. Comparing to the closest factory made, I only am saving maybe 10%, but my components are way better and I can upgrade at a later date or fix by simple replacement.

I could have bought an Alienware like the neighbours down the road did for their kid a few years back. The kid recently asked me if I could upgrade the GPU and PSU and add a couple of quieter fans for sound and cooling in it but damn if Dell didn't lock it all up with their proprietary motherboard, proprietary cables and connectors... so no easy upgrade there. It is really neatly engineered how it opens up like a clam, but not a chance in buying anything off the shelf for that beast.

Same thing probably goes for me and diyaudio whether it be passdiy or chipamp or vacuum tube amplification. I'll make an ACA, put together a friend's Bob Latino kit in 2 days because they got in over their head, a tubelab SSE, the monoblock Eiclones (sitting in a box started then stopped...), the Aleph J sitting and waiting for a start, and those crazy looking but damn do they work so good for something with such a small driver Cal Weadon cornu spirals.

For me, certain work is an attainable hobby and I gain satisfacton from that. I won't even try what some of the DIY'ers here do with things like tonearms and turntables or CD transports because it is out of my skill set, so I am hard stuck buying those.

If you are happy with your purchase, then great -- enjoy because it doesn't matter what anyone else says if the amps are good or not or if they could do better given the same dollars to spend. If you're happy, then great. There are people who absolutely love the sound of SE tube amplification and others who heat their homes with a vintage Krell KSA50 versus of a passdiy F5. Everyone has their own reason.

And then there are the people who love their out of the box BOSE sound systems from the big box stores...

Last edited:
I hear that and I do agree - and of course I lean towards "make" nearly all the time - and there are things that arent worth the time, in my eyes, vs what is widely available. Energy better spent on other passion pieces.

The Aegir I think is an interesting study here, only because in single stereo it's giving you 20WPC 10 of which are pure A, the rest "Continuity A" (not to get into that...) at a price point that frankly equates to an Aleph J built BOM (half of which goes into the chassis and related hardware.) On top of that theres an aesthetic angle, which may or may not be a pro to some. Once we enter this monoblock scenario (which becomes the basis of my Balanced query) changes things.

I think I'll build a J and report back, if not only to go through that interesting experience!

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
just take it in this way:

for approx same amount of money as for one Aegir, you'll have all parts for Aleph J, you'll have enormous fun while building it and crying for help in public (here), and you'll have all Watts on disposal in A Class

life is short - use it to enjoy double, triple, quadruple - listening the music, cringing on more dramatic parts, while building amp and using a brain

(if you buy an amp - it is just an amp; if you build it, it is not anymore just an amp ........ it's your pride and tool with which you've been taught humility ...... maybe you'll gain a buddy or two while building it, growing as human being ........ )

Last edited:
I’m kind of playing it like a value game, personally.

If you forget about the possible fun/learning experience nothing beats for value a 10-20-30 year old superamp. There is no way one can diy any of those amps for their modest asking prices. Buying new otoh...the moment you take it home you are at around -40% value-wise.

No idea whatsoever how an Aegir would stack up against a J2 soundwise.

Edit: Seeing the Aegir has a 15 day money back policy this seems like a really safe choice in case you hate it.

Last edited:
@ Chris in MKE

When this social distancing fiasco is over, I will loan you an aegir to help make up your own opinion.

I can tell you this, I have tried to replace any one of my builds with the Aegir but I always end up putting the heavy, not so space saving, thermal radiators back into operation. But, it is a subjective opinion with many variables. If I were biamping, this would be a different response as the mid and top end agility of the amp is worthy. Perhaps monoblocks are the solution for an off the shelf option.

@ Chris in MKE

When this social distancing fiasco is over, I will loan you an aegir to help make up your own opinion.

I can tell you this, I have tried to replace any one of my builds with the Aegir but I always end up putting the heavy, not so space saving, thermal radiators back into operation. But, it is a subjective opinion with many variables. If I were biamping, this would be a different response as the mid and top end agility of the amp is worthy. Perhaps monoblocks are the solution for an off the shelf option.
That sounds like a great experience. I should have the Aleph done by then (and maybe more at the rate things are going). Put that with my friend’s M2X and Elekit, you’ve got a party. :)

Well, for those of you still curious - I did indeed have the opportunity to give the Aleph a whirl against dual Aegirs!

For clarity's sake - I only compared them against a pair of Aegirs used as monoblocks. The aegir's only accept balanced inputs in this configuration - and whether it was simply this fact and/or the extra oomph from the monoblocks I greatly preferred them as Monoblocks (unfortunate since it instantly doubles your pricepoint.) I have also read that some dont like the way that the Aegir's bridge for monoblocks as this degrades sound quality. BUT, in my experience while there was a shift in sound signature, the overall quality, depth, and space to the sound was overwhelming with the balanced monoblocks.

Second, this was all run through Schiit's own Freya Preamp (in both cases) on some relatively inefficient speakers clocking in around 86db @ 6 ohms.

Lastly, the Aleph J was only burned in for about 20 hours before listening - the C1 was shorted, and short circuit protection was removed. Inputs were also used as balanced. AND FWIW built with Antek 500VA transformer. Clocked ar about 490mV bias, and near zero offset.

To put it briefly, just build the Aleph J, don't look back and stop reading.

To put some words around it - the aleph has notable bass extension that terrifies. Hadn't heard it since, I had at first sensed a bit of inprecision in the bass, but that has seemed to improve - and I will likely beef up PSU wiring to see if that further improves (yes, the Mono PSU itch is already starting). Detail and clarity are lovely, certainly more motivating and pleasant than the Aegir's but I dont know that I'd say better. The realism around drum's decay - the snares buzzing in the room during a bass solo, and the piano's hammers on the strings is palatable, and lovely.

It's been said before, but its a remarkably unfatiguing amp. As an avid Miles fan, sometimes when he lays in I find it shrill or sharp - not here - sax has been exhausting as of late - but this makes it pleasant.

Oh, and its dead and i mean DEAD quiet.

The only question now is, what to build next, an F5T, and M2x (my personal itch) or a J2 (perhaps wait until its official?!).

Thank you all and thank you Papa.

Interesting, and good to hear because I'm in the planning stages of an Aleph J. Got my Power Supply, soft start, and Speaker protection boards...now the question is do I wait for this new ZM version of the AJ PCB?

The other cool thing about DIY is that you can buy the various parts over the course of several months and your wife is less likely to notice several $100-200 purchases spread out over several months vs a single $900ish (after shipping and tax) purchase, even though the DIY option adds up to the roughly the same sum as the Aegir. :D The chassis will be the big purchase at the end. Maybe I'll ask for that for my birthday.

Agreed - frankly you can be resourceful and save a good chunk of change. Given lots of the store perks like the precut and tapped panels, parts kit etc, but they do add up.

I think in this case you actually get a nice deal - remember my impressions were based on two Aegirs... I think I spent $700 all in on my Aleph J.... elbow grease, priceless!

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
that last funny version, as I see in testing phase right now, is all about simplicity and easiness, without loosing performance

no other matching besides pair of input JFets, with two trimpots pre-set to mid position, if everything assembled properly - -just go - bang! power up, fiddle a little with trimpots for Iq and offset, and that's it

no choices and options, straightforward

choices aren't for noobs, nor the other way

:clown:

Well, for those of you still curious - I did indeed have the opportunity to give the Aleph a whirl against dual Aegirs!

For clarity's sake - I only compared them against a pair of Aegirs used as monoblocks. The aegir's only accept balanced inputs in this configuration - and whether it was simply this fact and/or the extra oomph from the monoblocks I greatly preferred them as Monoblocks (unfortunate since it instantly doubles your pricepoint.) I have also read that some dont like the way that the Aegir's bridge for monoblocks as this degrades sound quality. BUT, in my experience while there was a shift in sound signature, the overall quality, depth, and space to the sound was overwhelming with the balanced monoblocks.

Second, this was all run through Schiit's own Freya Preamp (in both cases) on some relatively inefficient speakers clocking in around 86db @ 6 ohms.

Lastly, the Aleph J was only burned in for about 20 hours before listening - the C1 was shorted, and short circuit protection was removed. Inputs were also used as balanced. AND FWIW built with Antek 500VA transformer. Clocked ar about 490mV bias, and near zero offset.

To put it briefly, just build the Aleph J, don't look back and stop reading.

To put some words around it - the aleph has notable bass extension that terrifies. Hadn't heard it since, I had at first sensed a bit of inprecision in the bass, but that has seemed to improve - and I will likely beef up PSU wiring to see if that further improves (yes, the Mono PSU itch is already starting). Detail and clarity are lovely, certainly more motivating and pleasant than the Aegir's but I dont know that I'd say better. The realism around drum's decay - the snares buzzing in the room during a bass solo, and the piano's hammers on the strings is palatable, and lovely.

It's been said before, but its a remarkably unfatiguing amp. As an avid Miles fan, sometimes when he lays in I find it shrill or sharp - not here - sax has been exhausting as of late - but this makes it pleasant.

Oh, and its dead and i mean DEAD quiet.

The only question now is, what to build next, an F5T, and M2x (my personal itch) or a J2 (perhaps wait until its official?!).

Thank you all and thank you Papa.

I couldn't agree more on all accounts. I have Holo May DAC (internally DC-coupled... apparently... I'll get inside and check.... soon), balanced interconnects to Aleph J (C1 bypassed, short circuit protection removed, short & thick wiring, I did some fine-tuning with decoupling caps).... stunning is the right word. The bass definition, drive and grip improved dramatically when I bypassed that C1 and removed short circuit protection, but everything else improved as well - especially speed, separation, extension at the high end. So nice. I am saving for new Dynaudio's now..... :)

Interesting, and good to hear because I'm in the planning stages of an Aleph J. Got my Power Supply, soft start, and Speaker protection boards...now the question is do I wait for this new ZM version of the AJ PCB?

The other cool thing about DIY is that you can buy the various parts over the course of several months and your wife is less likely to notice several $100-200 purchases spread out over several months vs a single $900ish (after shipping and tax) purchase, even though the DIY option adds up to the roughly the same sum as the Aegir. :D The chassis will be the big purchase at the end. Maybe I'll ask for that for my birthday.

I've searched the Forum and Google for this but no luck, does anyone have a link to this new Zen Mod AJ PCB?

Thanks.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.