Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Dreaming of a DIY power amp
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd March 2021, 07:42 PM   #61
Dennis Hui is offline Dennis Hui  Canada
Hoopy Frood
diyAudio Member

I'm not familiar with the SP9 so I looked it up. With 20dB gain at line level and
can do 50V RMS output, it can definitely drive the F4 well.

The part William suggested is good and avoids a potential problem, especially
if you might not be able to select parts that operate in a specific range.
Old 2nd March 2021, 07:56 PM   #62
Giovanni1968 is offline Giovanni1968  Italy
diyAudio Member

Ciao William, thanks for the hint, I will start and take note of all of it all, good to know about the TL431, found this as per your recommendation and right now I got email from the guy who builds and sells the cases here in Italy, I would like to make a full parts list to figure the total cost.

Grazie again
Old 2nd March 2021, 08:01 PM   #63
mvaldes is offline mvaldes  Italy
diyAudio Member

Ciao Giovanni,
long time ago I start thinking to build a power amp just for fun.
I started collecting all parts to build an M2 and finally couple month ago I was ready to build it.
I was not in hurry because there was a subdole doubt that was obsessing me
Why am I building a so small power amp? It is only 25w....how can it drive my big JBL 4430 ? How can it drive them better than my McIntosh MC252 ?
I finished to assemble the M2 but let it lying on the floor for some days...
Finally I hook the speaker to my diy M2 and start listening some music and....WOW...

To cut the story short, since that moment I never changed back to my McIntosh. I never felt shortage of power and, most important of all, I never listened music from my system like now

Last edited by mvaldes; 2nd March 2021 at 08:04 PM.
Old 2nd March 2021, 08:08 PM   #64
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvaldes View Post
Ciao Giovanni,
long time ago I start thinking to build a power amp just for fun.
I started collecting all parts to build an M2 and finally couple month ago I was ready to build it.
I was not in hurry because there were a subdole doubt that was obsessing me
Why am I building a so small power amp? It is only 25w....how can it drive my big JBL 4430 ? How can it drive them better than my McIntosh MC252 ?
I finished to assemble the M2 but let it lying on the floor for some days...
Finally I hook the speaker to my diy M2 and start listening some music and....WOW...

To cut the story short, since that moment I never changed back to my McIntosh. I never felt shortage of power and, most important of all, I never listened music from my system like now
Oh well Michele, I won't mind helping you get rid of the MC252 neither to come give a look (yes, a look because those are so beautiful and such good memories of old times) and a ride to your 4430; I remember as a teen when going to the gym at the base of a local hotel the son of the owner had two 4430 staged by the lobby, the family left the island long time ago but the JBL are still here in a storage, I keep asking the only strict member of the family to check them for me but he says the aunt, owner of the storage, won't allow him to take them :-(

If 25W can drive the 4430 it should be pretty easy to deal with my L220 and give a thrill to the 4311b whose I won't get rid of.

I am getting thrilled at the idea of building something, as an acquaintance once told me "change is always good" and for a status quo person like me that really is a big change even tho if just in a very early stage

So nice to read locals attending the forum
Old 2nd March 2021, 08:09 PM   #65
peppennino is offline peppennino  Italy
Galactic Hitchhiker
diyAudio Member

Giovanni,
I made an updated BOM at Mouser.it a few weeks ago, but you have to consider the customs fees because shipping is from USA. Also RS in Italy has good part of the BOM. Better begin by taking the transistor kit and Jfets (too much fakes on eBay) and obviously the PCBs from Diyaudio Shop.

Ciao,
Vincenzo

(Peppennino is a "pupo", a Sicilian puppet -a kid- in the "Intermezzi" of the famous "Opera dei Pupi" from Palermo)
Old 2nd March 2021, 08:13 PM   #66
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppennino View Post
Giovanni,
I made an updated BOM at Mouser.it a few weeks ago, but you have to consider the customs fees because shipping is from USA. Also RS in Italy has good part of the BOM. Better begin by taking the transistor kit and Jfets (too much fakes on eBay) and obviously the PCBs from Diyaudio Shop.

Ciao,
Vincenzo

(Peppennino is a "pupo", a Sicilian puppet -a kid- in the "Intermezzi" of the famous "Opera dei Pupi" from Palermo)
Ciao Vincenzo,

sorry for misunderstand about your name/nickname, I learnt two more things tonight, about the pupo and what a BOM is would you mind share it with me?

Where in Sicilia? I am a couple hundred miles almost straight north of your beautiful island, if earth was flat I could try and spot you tomorrow from the Augustus Gardens and my 600mm scope...
Old 2nd March 2021, 08:16 PM   #67
Galactic Hitchhiker
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvaldes View Post
Why am I building a so small power amp? It is only 25w....how can it drive my big JBL 4430 ?
Wow, Michele... 4430 are an old dream, since I saw them in John Cusack's home in "High Fidelity" movie.
Complimenti!

[EDIT] Giovanni, Palermo is just in front your beautiful Island, I live very close to it, near Monreale

Last edited by peppennino; 2nd March 2021 at 08:22 PM.
Old 3rd March 2021, 09:08 AM   #68
Attila I is offline Attila I  Germany
diyAudio Member

@peppennino; Quote:
I made an updated BOM at Mouser.it a few weeks ago, but you have to consider the customs fees because shipping is from USA. ....

hey peppennino,

Mouser does also ship from Munich/Germany -> Mouser.de

have a nice amp
A.
Old 3rd March 2021, 09:56 AM   #69
Galactic Hitchhiker
diyAudio Member

Thanks, Attila! So, are products located in Germany?
Old 3rd March 2021, 10:52 AM   #70
Zen Mod is online now Zen Mod  Serbia
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

to my knowledge, even when you're buying through european mouser site, you still need to pay some duties on top of price shown on page, with package receive

?

Dreaming of a DIY power ampHide this!Advertise here!