Dreaming of a DIY power amp

Giovanni , you should first choose the amp you wanna build , is an F5 , an F4 , an M2 or an F6 or else ??

then plenty of helpful guys here will guide you a little , or more , if you know what you want to do , this is the very first step :rolleyes:

forget about polish stuff , choose what you want first , and we will see ;)

you did not tell about the " few " :D

Last edited:
Joined 2019
Paid Member
+1 ^

Definitely review the BoMs provided.

However, there are things that are not on each BoM that can add a bit to your costs.

You can consider:

A back panel parts kit. Either you can get one, or use it to give you an idea for the cost of your I/O and IEC, fuses, etc. $79 is relatively inexpensive for what you get, IMO. I've seen single speaker terminals and inputs that sell for a higher cost than the total kit. So, your choices may vary.

Keratherm or similar - $19 for 10 pieces. There are less expensive substitutes, but it is nice.

Wiring
Terminal Blocks
Whatever connectors (if you choose) you want for your boards. Not needed if you directly solder everything, but they can be nice.
Inrush / ground lift / safety cap
Other mechanical for assembly - see also back panel parts kit.

I'd add $25USD for misc. stuff you'll forget you needed.

It's not a comprehensive list. I don't think anyone can/will provide that. Those are some things that came to my mind, that you may not anticipate or immediately consider in your budget. Things not strictly listed on the BoMs may surprise you with their costs if you don't factor them in.

Enjoy and live the dream of your DIY amp! :)

Edited to add... I personally think spending the extra money for the "Deluxe" versions of the chassis with the pre-drilled holes that perfectly line up with most of the boards sold in the store is a bargain. However, I don't like tapping holes, particularly when they should all be nicely aligned.

Last edited:
I got the L220 a year and a half ago, had to redo the suspensions for the passive woofers before getting on duty and taking place of my 4311B which I bought when I was 15-16 years old (quite some time ago), the KT88 took place of the Adcom GFA535 and it was love at first listening, it's not the amp I dreamed of but sure a nice sound compared to the cheap-with-a-potential Adcom (which is now under restoration for new caps and slight improvements to feed the 4311B for another room, which I don't have, sound system).

Ideally I'd like solid state on the low end and tubes on the mid-high but dunno if my L220 crossovers can be used in biamp.

Somebody on an italian forum keeps suggesting I arrange a clone of the A Class 50W Krell, those things always intrigued me but dunno why but Mr Pass is such a character, could I try I would with him...

It all still is in an early phase, still in doubt about the 25W output and which kind of improvement could such a thing bring to my listening experience but just for the sake of reading your all advise is so nice...

+1 ^

Definitely review the BoMs provided.

However, there are things that are not on each BoM that can add a bit to your costs.

You can consider:

A back panel parts kit. Either you can get one, or use it to give you an idea for the cost of your I/O and IEC, fuses, etc. $79 is relatively inexpensive for what you get, IMO. I've seen single speaker terminals and inputs that sell for a higher cost than the total kit. So, your choices may vary.

Keratherm or similar - $19 for 10 pieces. There are less expensive substitutes, but it is nice.

Wiring
Terminal Blocks
Whatever connectors (if you choose) you want for your boards. Not needed if you directly solder everything, but they can be nice.
Inrush / ground lift / safety cap
Other mechanical for assembly - see also back panel parts kit.

I'd add $25USD for misc. stuff you'll forget you needed.

It's not a comprehensive list. I don't think anyone can/will provide that. Those are some things that came to my mind, that you may not anticipate or immediately consider in your budget. Things not strictly listed on the BoMs may surprise you with their costs if you don't factor them in.

Enjoy and live the dream of your DIY amp! :)

Edited to add... I personally think spending the extra money for the "Deluxe" versions of the chassis with the pre-drilled holes that perfectly line up with most of the boards sold in the store is a bargain. However, I don't like tapping holes, particularly when they should all be nicely aligned.

I don't expect such a project being as cheap as some A class power amps you can buy on ali express but before I start I'd like to have an idea of a lowest-highest (and knowing myself I won't bother about the former) it might cost.

I should order the PCBs and and kits from DIY store, case locally and transformer somewhere in the EU.

As you point out a pre drilled case plate, connectors bla bla bla would be great especially since where I live absolutely no chance to find any stuff, everything will need being bought online.

Is there any main item missing from my above list?

Grazie

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
you forgot motorcycles :)

speaking of tech. history, Italy is one of richest places, especially when combining technical competence and passion is in case

but - funny - due to benefits of supereasy communication, we can see how incompetent passion often overwhelms competency, speaking generally :rofl:

luckily - this place, still good ratio between knowledge and blind fate

Last edited:
I also forgot wine, fashion, cheese, pasta... we risk going V(ery)OT but that's one of the prices to pay to be Italian.

I am not a very competent audio listener at all, mostly I am a nostalgic, the turntable was a dream I couldn't accomplish back in time, then priorities change but dreams are free (are they still?) so with luck and time I got the turntable, the tube amp, the speakers and the preamp, in my wildest dreams turntable should have been a Delphi (I know, many say the Gyro is better and it's quite entertaining to see spinning but, still, not the Delphi), two B300 mono blocks to feed the Klipschorn and preamp fine as it is, black face maybe :)

It might be a stereotype (to remain in the audio realm) but many a times Italians do it better, not with champagne but in many iterations they do...

What entertains me so much is the passion and competence you have with DIY, don't know if I will ever build an F5 or an Aleph but reading you all does really boost and we all need some kind of boost during these sad times

Oh, by the way, I love Ferrari and won't mind a Maserati, Lambo?! Too much (but my son loves it) but to me Germans do it better than Italians so am heading to the Porsche clone DIY forum, sorry....

I think you missed the advice from ZenMod not to go with an F5 because trimming the circuit with multiple multimeters is a bit more demanding for a novice.

Also F5 is commonly regarded here as the opposite to AlephJ (i.e. good bass control and emphasized in treble, overall more analytical sound in comparison to Alephs which are regarded for their warm (tube like) midrange (think vocals on music material).

He also told you to stick with simple (e.g. M2), and others also offered a good advice when they mentioned that an F4 is a lot of fun because you can change preamps for it (and use your tube preamp or pick one that works the best for your choice of music material).

you should really download manual for each and read them before browsing parts in the store.
FIRST WATT PRODUCTS

Last edited:
I won't face such a thing on my own at the very first attempt, I am asking my friend Ciro who is a passionate DIYer and repair guy with enough experience and instruments to help into putting it all together.

First I have to try and find out which kind of sonic signature best suits my needs and my gear, provided I mostly listen to electronic music (I know... but whilst typing I am listening to Alan Parson Project, next in the queue Toto and for sure Depeche Mode) and some Jazz I appreciate the tubes vs the previous solid state I have been using that's why I mentioned the Aleph in the above post.

Once found out which and if I can face the expense I would plan it all.

You all are very entertaining and, yes, I am in between east and west, hard to convince ;-)

Gonna go read about the F4 before I get ready to plant my just arrived tomatoes, zucchini, basil and eggplant seeds

Have a great day!!!

Regarding your shopping list: It's unclear if you noticed, that amplifier boards do come in pairs, so you only need to order one "item" from the shop.
You are missing jfets in your list I think. Either buy LSK one's from DiyAudio shop, or use one of the proven sources -don't buy blindly on the internet.