F6 smokes with preamp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My f6 is a diy build. I had my sp14(another Diy with 6ns7 tube) already running and playing my tube lab SSE turned my pass F6 on and proceeded to hook up the pre already running and saw slight smoke. Thankfully my F6 is still working and running fine off the nodi 2.playing a little Larry carrolton Last night album

It appears to be in my power supply. I hooked my sp14 preamp to the f6 but did not turn it on. Turned on the f6 and both power lights( red led) came on, within seconds the right light dimmed smoke came off the resistors and the light went out. Hooked up nodi2 wcerything works fine.

Attachments

• 8398171F-D83D-41AD-8308-EFB37A22384F.jpg
    8398171F-D83D-41AD-8308-EFB37A22384F.jpg
    976.5 KB · Views: 223
Did one more experiment by switching the connection (red to white ) the same led started to dim and I pulled the one input connection and left the other in for a second thus bring smoke from the transistor area. Amp still works. Afraid to try other experiments for a while

Joined 2012
Paid Member
So it smokes with two of your sources but not with one?

Do the two sources that cause smoke have safety ground (3 prong plugs) and the one that does not smoke only has a two prong plug?

Please post a picture showing all of the amplifier (an overall shot).

Something is causing excess draw on the V- part of the power supply and the excess draw is burning the resistors.

Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Excess draw is putting it mildly :)

The four 0R47 in parallel will give about 0R12. Let's say they each dissipate their rated power (given the discoloration likely more), that's 4*3W, and with P=12W=U*I=R*I^2, thus I=(12W/0.12R)^.5=10A of current!

Something's not right.

When I first built my F6.. I used my venerable George Wright triode type Tube pre.
The F6 sounded BAD. Couldn't believe it.
Finally unplugged the Pre and ran a stepped attenuator direct from sources and the sounds were/are exquisite.
Tube pre clearly didn't work with the F6.
Don't know why, don't care.
It's doing closet duty.. for the rest of My life.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.