25W Single Ended Hammond 193V Choke Loaded 2SK180 L'Amp

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Ben,

Here is what I'm planning.

I have the drain of the SIT grounded and the inductor at -32V. So the load is across the SIT. This seams to work well with my Mu Follower, I'm just wondering if the low impedance of the inductor is a determent to the ripple or if the Inductance added adds the filtering needed to keep the ripple out?

Thanks,
Choke Loaded Follower.jpg

Joined 2012
Paid Member
I believe the inductance will add filtering, so it is beneficial.

Have you simulated your circuit? The 100 Ohm DN2540 source resistor may be a bit low, allowing quite a bit of current and high power dissipation. However only an actual circuit with real components will give real numbers. But it is probably safer to start with a higher value source resistor and reduce if necessary. It is also easier to reduce resistance during fine tuning by paralleling resistors. :)

I think a tube front end is a great match for a VFET source follower.

If you prefer to keep things in the VFET family, a 2SK79 would be great for the front end / voltage gain (about 30x). These parts are very linear, and you can still find them without too much trouble.
I did this, I have 2sk79 front end . It’s in a SRPP circuit. It’s in its own chassis with separate power supply. I have been listening to it for a couple days now and with front end the soundstage is huge, it had more depth layer. The voices were more palatable closer to a triode tube but cleaner, not for sure how to describe it. it’s more dynamic, with more headroom. I built mine with out the pot, just a gain stage. I have the p channel vfet output that nelson released and it will give me a chance to use it with that amp as well. I’m using it with Ben’s 2sk180 follower circuit and really happy with the results. The 2sk79 were matched set of quads.

Attachments

• E92F86EE-79B5-45DB-AE9E-6162B24C2EE6.png
    E92F86EE-79B5-45DB-AE9E-6162B24C2EE6.png
    73.6 KB · Views: 207

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
SRPP… mu-follower… hmmm…

Can you try listening to it with the output connected to the top of Q3? That would make it a CCS load for the most part. I have tried similar arrangements with other triodes and much prefer the CCS load. Curious to hear your impressions.

SRPP… mu-follower… hmmm…

Can you try listening to it with the output connected to the top of Q3? That would make it a CCS load for the most part. I have tried similar arrangements with other triodes and much prefer the CCS load. Curious to hear your impressions.
I may try that at some point, I want to use it with different amps I have but for now I'm enjoying the 2sk180 with it.

Joined 2012
Paid Member
I managed to get hold of two 2SK79 recently and I am going to try a CCS loaded gain stage with them. My 2SK82 Luminaria preamp does not have enough voltage out to maximize the output power of my Tokin followers so I will give the 2SK79 a try.

I will build it as a stand-alone preamp/gain stage with input and output buffers. All of my SIT follower amps do not have input buffers so having the buffer at the preamp output works well - one output buffer instead of an input buffer in each amplifier.

This is the plan, although things may change when I build and test and tweak it. I will remove the Luminaria circuit from its chassis and insert the 2SK79 circuit, and use the existing power supplies and volume control.

Attachments

• 2SK79 Preamp.png
    2SK79 Preamp.png
    24.1 KB · Views: 167
Reactions: 1 user