Beast with 1000 JFETs redux?

Schematic of both stages. The schematic is hierarchical. 8 instances of stage 1 and 72 instances of stage 2.

Attachments

• Sch_p1.jpg
    Sch_p1.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 588
  • Sch_p2.jpg
    Sch_p2.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 587
Wow! 6-layer board :eek:

I cannot imagine what this has cost you to get to this point. This is a super interesting project for the hardcore greedy boy. Thank you for sharing your journey with the rest of us. :cheers:

The engineering fee is more than the PCBs by quite a lot. It is a learning exercise for me. Adding to the skill stack. Having a one-of-a-kind NP inspired JFET power amp is the largest attraction.

Needs a photograph. Here is one.

Papa sent me the boards, j-fets, and resistors. There are 4 boards with 512 j-fets per board. It was a soldering exercise. Was done Tuesday about midnight, burned in on Wednesday, and off to Axpona on Thursday.

For those of you who are curious as to what it sounds like - it is lovely, precise, and very, very fast. Flat to 500 kHz.

At Axpona Kent English of Pass Labs and I played a game with the listeners called "Identify the Power Amp". Amazing how many audiophiles and every reviewer got it wrong. Common guesses as to what it was were pagoda, bee hive, and trash can. I guess I need to work on my artistic skills.

Jon

Attachments

• IMG_2417.jpg
    IMG_2417.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 193
Reactions: 1 user

mkc

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi Jon,

Thank you for the picture now that the video has been blocked.

It seems that it's a nice mailing list you are subscribing to :giggle:

I wonder how many jfets it takes in order to get enough for building 2 channels. How much power does it deliver? ZM refer to it as the Mini-Beast.

1024 pairs of Toshiba JFETs, now selling at 20USD a pair.
That is 20,000 USD for a pair of power buffers (not even amplifying).

And with 512 pairs per channel, at say 7mA per FET, that makes 3.5A bias at say +/-20V rails (already exceeding the max rating of 2SJ74 by 2x at full swing).
So 50Wrms Class A into 4R, or 400USD per watt.
Makes Semisouth look cheap.

;)

Patrick