B1 r2 proto or prod?

Hello peppennino. I contacted scafas. He has boards to sell. But he wants $23 plus shipping for each. That's a lot of money for a simple one layer board. I'll have to think about it. I can get a B3 driver board for much less money, maybe even use it for the schematic.

That just goes to show what a GREAT deal the passdiy.com/store offer is. For $40.00 you get a board and 4 matched Toshiba JFETs. Considering the value of the JFETs alone, the board is basically free!

:D

It would be fun to compare R0 & R2 side by side. My R0 is so flawless I'm not sure how audible any difference would be.

BTW, nice workstation peppennino. I need to get some pegboard so I can find what I need when I need it!

Last edited:
It would be fun to compare R1 & R2 side by side. My R1 is so flawless I'm not sure how audible any difference would be.

BTW, nice workstation peppennino. I need to get some pegboard so I can find what I need when I need it!

Thanks, it was my father's lab, I've very poor abilities compared to him.
:cheers:

p.s. I'm making a small 18V linear psu in order to compare R0 (Passdiy pcb with Toshiba Jfets) to R2 (with Linear Jfets) directly

Last edited:
Joined 2019
Paid Member
It would be fun to compare R0 & R2 side by side. My R0 is so flawless I'm not sure how audible any difference would be.

I’ve built and compared both. For me R2 is nearly invisible - it’s clean, precise, and I don’t hear it imparting much extra on to the music. R0 is nearly as clean and precise, but it sounds a touch warmer to me. Corresponds with their topologies I think, R0 being cap coupled and singled-ended; R2 being direct coupled and push pull.

I love them both, that’s for sure.

That just goes to show what a GREAT deal the passdiy.com/store offer is. For $40.00 you get a board and 4 matched Toshiba JFETs. Considering the value of the JFETs alone, the board is basically free!

:D

WBS, yes, good value. But also is it a Rev 2 board? It looks like Rev 1.
I wonder what the Rev 2 sounds like compared to the DC coupled Mesmerize variant of the B1?
But, the B3 driver board can be populated to be a B1 Rev 2. And $15 vs $23. But there will be wasted space. I may do that. Or build a B3 anyway. A little gain could be a good thing. Still deciding

Done! 👌

Attachments

• PSX_20210222_155733.jpg
    PSX_20210222_155733.jpg
    319.5 KB · Views: 246
  • PSX_20210222_155810.jpg
    PSX_20210222_155810.jpg
    331.6 KB · Views: 252
  • PSX_20210222_155847.jpg
    PSX_20210222_155847.jpg
    232.6 KB · Views: 244

I have built both Rev1 and REV2 on perfboard. Different PSUs obviously but REV2 is far more ruthless and clear. Could be the lack of caps, could be PP vs SE but it sounded different. REV2 had wider soundstage but flatter and not as tall as REV1. I preferred REV1 considering my system was already as ruthless and clear as I needed and I preferred what REV1 did to the soundstage.

But sitting in my rack now is Korg B1 which is a different animal but I like it best of all. It's like wearing 3D glasses.