Papa’s slot loaded open baffle version #2

With sometime on my hands, I decided to try a pair of Papa’s slot loaded open baffle speakers. Not the large ones with the multiple woofers, just the simple ones that came later, with one woofer each.

I had a local woodworker follow Papa’s plans. I rounded up some nos Fostex FE 206En for the full range and Augie 15’s for the woofers.

Poking around on the internet, I found Dick Olsher’s site (Blackdahlia.com) had plans for an open baffle (OB3) that used the Augie 15’s and listed crossover specs for his final version. He had his full range crossed over at 250hz, second order and the woofer at 80hz, first order with reversed polarity.

I haven’t built my crossover, yet. I had an old SAE 4000 second order crossover that I rebuilt a few years ago. I dusted it off and set the FR to 200-250hz and the woofer to 80-100hz, with reversed polarity. Not bad at all! I’m on my first week of listening and my first pair of speakers built, ever. F4 for the full range and an old Hafler P500 mosfet for the Augies.

I’m thinking a low cost active crossover as my next purchase. It might be nice to be able to adjust the orders and values separately and see how things sound. I’m learning a bunch and usually puzzled at some point. But then I read a bit more on a new thread and it slowly comes together.

As always a big thanks to Papa! And to ZM, 6L6, MJ, Dennis and Pico who are always guiding, assisting and got me through my F4 build.

Wishing I’d be getting on a plane to SFO for BA2020. Maybe next year.

Attachments

• 881A5C8E-F719-4861-8604-548BBC01BE04.jpg
    881A5C8E-F719-4861-8604-548BBC01BE04.jpg
    872.1 KB · Views: 3,944
  • 31BDD783-A295-493A-AD3B-0A7AC0D7EAB7.jpg
    31BDD783-A295-493A-AD3B-0A7AC0D7EAB7.jpg
    837.4 KB · Views: 3,886
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hello Pico, with more listening experience I am real curious about your results. I have the Cube Audio Magus in this baffle, also a Sonido 220 EX . It's easy to construct the baffle exchangeable. All of this with a modified LX Mini crossover acording to Nelsons recommendation.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
The Magus still sounds sharp in the highs, may be, I am too sensible to this.
I play with the crossover, altering off only one resistor defines the equalisation of the highs. But I am still not there. Playing wuith the tilt of the baffles is also not helpfull.
Amplifier for fullrange is Monster 8 W or FW 2J clone, result is the same, with a small EL84 single ended better highs, but less resolution.
Bass is the same Nelson uses, amplifier Hypex NC400. Bass is strong and quick, I like it.

At the end, fullrange may be not my cup of tea.

Try the speakers facing straight ahead.

They are all very different. You might find another Full Range you like.

It would be nice if you had a means of doing some Frequency Response measurements to know where the problem might be.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user