Papa’s slot loaded open baffle version #2

In essence: you cannot biamp these speakers without either

A) building a speaker mounted power sucking passove crossover
B) using DSP
C) using an analog/active crossover.

D) dedicated bandwidth limited amplifiers - I'm planning on using a follower with a FR that rolls off at 150-180Hz for my 'fullrange' driver (and probably the DIY Audio store ACN for the bass section).

Last edited:
I enquired about purchasing a pair of Eminence Definimax 4015ULF units from Blue Aran, a UK distributer/reseller. The message I got back is thet the units have been discontinued.

I may have to cast around for an alternative.

Shame as I wanted to stick with Papa's recommended bass units.

'T'-bass drive for OB LF drivers.

The amplifier MUST be a SS NFB type with good damping figure. It should be 4 ohm continuous rated for use when this circuit drives an 8 ohm driver on an OB, and 2 ohm continuous rated when two 8 ohm drivers are driven in parallel. If of sufficient quality this same amplifier may also feed the wideband driver via a series capacitor, say 47 to 220uF, though with a damping resistor connected in parallel with the wideband driver voice coil, say 8.2 ohms accross an 8 ohm nominal driver.

Not so easy with most of the FW amps (+the cost of a 250VA donut). Still prefer an active device like B5/ACN or the simple new boost created by Papa for Speaker Camp 2022.
:cheers:

Joined 2008
Paid Member
I've got some time with my recently built F2J running the FR drivers in my SLOBs.

Just my opinion: all my Papa amps are excellent but I'm going to rank them driving the SLOBs as-

1. F2J
2. F1J
3. VFET
4. ACA

My experience with these amps (except the F1J) and a variety of SLOB projects and fullrange drivers has left me with the same feelings.

My first amp build was an LM4875 gainclone…not sure where I would place that as I haven’t listened to it in a while, but it would not be at the top.

I’ve wanted to build a J2 for a while now, and have a few different PCB interpretations…but I’m just as interested in the F3 and LuDef.

I’ve gotten it in my head that I’d like to try a “SLOB on steroids” by using my 15” Tannoy dual concentrics with some AE Dipole 18s I have.

As usual, any progress is at a snails pace.