DIY biamp 6-24 crossover

to Peppeninno #296

Not so easy to get 80-90 hz in the low-pass with a 12dB slope

without
-big phaseshift (150deg.)

-Q-factor around 0.7
-dampingfactor in simulation: 0.68

I simulated with 150nF and 68nF / 20kOhm and 14kOhm.

:confused:
I think you have to try and listen

Greets
Dirk

Attachments

• Screenshot_Sallen-Key Low-pass -94Hz.jpg
    Screenshot_Sallen-Key Low-pass -94Hz.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 698
But you are playing with the electric simulation. You need to do it with the acoustic responses in the end. With subwoofers it is also a matter of where you place them in the room. In the end it will rarely be the strict Butterworth, Linkwitz-Riley or whatever. That is also the good point with this crossover. What does the frequency response look like for the bass and the rest?

to RogerGustavsson #303

I fully agree with you. These are only simulations.

Peppennino has to try and listen. Moving the subwoofer closer / away from listening position, perhaps reverse polarity at output of amp,....
Loudspeakers have that different behaviour.
Testing, adjusting and listening is part of the fun! :D

Greets
Dirk

But you are playing with the electric simulation. You need to do it with the acoustic responses in the end. With subwoofers it is also a matter of where you place them in the room. In the end it will rarely be the strict Butterworth, Linkwitz-Riley or whatever. That is also the good point with this crossover. What does the frequency response look like for the bass and the rest?

As I wrote, it's a Pass' SLOB, not a separate sub

Clearly the Eminence is in the SLOB, but is it 2 units - or a single? ripole?

And in that case, the Eminence already have a high Q, actually much higher than needed for SLOB, Peppennino are you running it with a coil in series as well - which is often part of the recipe?

Depending on the slot size you will have a quite big resonance peak - most likely somewhere between 200-350Hz.
It can be somewhat reduced by a non symmetric slot wall, but even so I have not been able to get rid of the peak. And you very likely will need more than 12dB to get it properly squared away ;)

Anyway - as Roger implies it's far from trivial - and SLOB does not make it easier. I would not spend too much time on fine-tuning the simulation before doing the first measurements - and eventually feeding these back into the calculations. There is quite a tolerance on most units which can shift results quite a bit.
I use Faital 15PR400's in SLOB, the datasheet: Fs = 35Hz, actual value 32(->28Hz run in) in SLOB it's down to 18 (->16Hz run in). And these are proper high quality pro units!

Last edited: