DIY biamp 6-24 crossover

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Open Baffle Developments Coming

Hooray! Now I don't have to buy a Windows laptop to run the software for the Parts-Express Class D/DSP boards!

I have just acquired Eminence Alpha 15A woofers and a Lepai LP210PA plate amp to experiment with a "high WAF" end-table open-baffle design. I will build one out of rough plywood as proof of concept before committing to the "nice" versions.

Bi-amping seems to be a partial solution to the "too many amplifiers" problem but I am still faced with the "too many speakers" problem.

Thanks Nelson!

-Tom-

Attachments

• IMG_4932.jpg
    IMG_4932.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 2,630
  • IMG_4933.jpg
    IMG_4933.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 2,615
Reactions: 1 user
Thank you Nelson Pass! Another great audio toy for our listening pleasure. This will be great for my future speaker projects.

Question about the signal chain. Does a preamp go before the ASP or is this a different configuration? I thought I remembered seeing a diagram on The Linkwitz Lab site but now all I can find is MiniDSP related diagrams.

I am thinking about building an open-baffle speaker(s) per the Pass slot example on this site. And, I will be using a Betsy driver with a Eminence Kappa-15LFA 15" Low Frequency Driver 8 Ohm for the woofer, crossing over at 100HZ. Kent English has recommended that I must use an active x-over with this speaker arrangement for best results and therefore my need to purchase the "Analog Crossover Network" on this site. However, I am confused about some things:
1) Do I purchase the ACN Basic Kit only + Chassis + Extras, or do I need the ACN Basic + LXmini Kit?
2) Does the kit come with full assembly instructions?
3) Do the instructions clearly show how to set the x-over frequency for the woofer @ 100Hz? ....and is this a simple pot adjustment by site or something else?
4) Is there a way to verify the integrity of my assembly before actually powering up and using with my amps/speakers?
Thanks, don

Reactions: 1 user
The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
1) Do I purchase the ACN Basic Kit only + Chassis + Extras, or do I need the ACN Basic + LXmini Kit?
2) Does the kit come with full assembly instructions?
3) Do the instructions clearly show how to set the x-over frequency for the woofer @ 100Hz? ....and is this a simple pot adjustment by site or something else?
4) Is there a way to verify the integrity of my assembly before actually powering up and using with my amps/speakers?

1 Depends on how much you want to do by yourself. No version of the
kit has all the parts to duplicate your requirements - the filter you will
want is going to resemble the attached filter schematic, and you should
assume that you will be varying the resistor values to optimize for
drivers, enclosures, and personal taste.

2 There is a nice build guide by member 6L6 which you will find on this
forum.

3 Unfortunately this crossover pretty much assumes that you know
what you want in advance. You might instead want to check out the DIY
Biamp 6-24 crossover which is new to this forum and which will also be
shortly available as a kit. It does not have EQ built in as such, although
you might not need EQ at all.

4 The build guide and manual discuss initial testing, which requires
a voltmeter to make some voltage checks. The main thing is to be
careful stuffing the board and soldering.

:)

Nelson, I found your response on the forum this am, thankyou.

Now I am really in a quandary as to what to do as I was hoping to get everything in the kit and just build. Maybe I will just get a good used pair of Klipsch Cornwall’s and stick with straight amp hookup.

I am retired and kind of losing patience with myself when I enter a subject that has a lot unknowns. But, thank you much for your help, and please know that I love Pass and FirstWatt products.

Respectfully, Don
����

I waited this so long. Thank you Mr.Pass.

I'm using a first watt B4 with my JBL 4345. this system sounds great already.

Now I want to go to 3way active or 4way active adding another crossover..

If I made this crossover with J113s, Will It degrade overall SQ? Should I use Toshiba 2SK170 with this crossover?