Simple SE Sit Amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2011
Paid Member
For some reason numerous discerning audiophiles like the Edcor in spite of the lesser objective performance, and I don't think it has anything to do with
price.

Anyway, looks like you will have some options. Mark Johnson has agreed to work on some different front ends that will mount on the sink in addition to the Edcor circuit.

Done. In the leisurely interval between 20 July and 30 September. Just now I snapped a cellphone photo of four different front end cards, sorry for the potato quality of the picture. Each board works, they all play music, they decline to oscillate, they make nice looking waveforms on a scope. Bottom to top, their PCB-IDs are "S", "B", "M", "D" .

Technical details won't be provided until (A) the actual VFET amplifier itself has been released & NP has described its principles of operation; and also (B) the front end cards have been successful mated with the VFET amplifier boards. Who knows, one or more of the front ends might not pass this final test.

_

Attachments

• Stack_of_four_PCBs_670_x_860.jpg
    Stack_of_four_PCBs_670_x_860.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 2,892
The VFET still operates according to its characteristic curves. Of course, the distortion profile will vary depending on its operating point and load line.

I agree. I tried both common source and common drain with Sony and Tokin, and it seems that the operating point has more impact than cs vs cd. The difference in damping factor affects the character of the bottom end, though.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.