All SIT 50W+ Single Ended Amp (beta)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
All components are here except input transformers from Cinemag (12 weeks waiting time so far), and most of them are attached to the case and liquid cooling heatsink. Water lines are also ready to go (not tested). I just need to finish wiring, but I have been lazy these days... I will start finishing this when I receive transformers. Well, I'll call David@Cinemag today.

alexopth1512, I remember that you're also trying to dissipate 150-200W from 2SK182ES.

I'm afraid that thermal resistance would be the bottleneck of the amp's performance, so I flattened the base plate of Tokin for better dissipation. You can see the flatness using a bright light and a ruler, and you'll find the manufacture case is warped enough to make you paranoid. I flattened it with a whetstone. I also used thermal grizzly and alumina sheet for the best possible thermal resistance.

This would be a little overengineering, but well, this is a hobby and I'm just having fun. :)

Attachments

• Tokin.jpg
    Tokin.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 455
Yes!! I have already did that.. it was a known technique for us old in computers that we were smoothing the base of big heatsinks back then ti have better performance.
Just for your info, I manage fine with watercooling to remove 300W+ from (90V, 3.6A) from the FET. No problem on that anymore. With watercooling in big speed, we are at 44 C :)
And of course Arctic Silver 5

A good news!

I had an electrical conducting issue possibly due to Arctic Silver 5 before, and since then I stopped using it. One of the FET on Aleph J smoked after 6 months without any reasons. Arctic Silver 5 may become electrical conductive after a while? They claim it is not electrical conductive, but they do not say it very strongly as the other products they sell. Please keep your eyes on it, and let us know if you find any issue.

I had AS5 in a home hi end PC that was running for more than 10 years without any change. Had no issue ... But in any case you must be careful with the quantity, i apply only a small bit and this is enough to spread to the surface. Now I had no experience before with transistors, so I was creative... But I put only very minimal quantity.

Mine is Aleph J with DIYAUDIO boards, not SIT either. IRFP240 is electrically isolated from heatsink via alumina sheet, then heatsink is grounded as a regular FW amp. Do you isolate both heatsink+FET from the ground? I do that often when I test amps, no isolation between FET and heatsink.

All parts and hardwares are here, and the air-water hybrid cooling chassis is done, but I have not touched this project last 6 months since I started using smaller speakers as my main monitors that require 250W amp. Large speakers are still here and I'm currently building a midi controlled remote switcher that switches active crossover setting, amps and speakers with one button. When I finish the switcher, I'll start working on this again.

I'm still very serious about this project, and it could probably be my last amp project in my life, so I enjoy not finishing it too soon. :) I actually have added some more ideas to the amp since last post.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.