Aleph J build guide for noobs

This thread is for help and comments as we (alanhuth and flohmann) make an Aleph J build guide aimed at noobs like us.

UPDATE: six months later, and it's done! Thanks to all on this thread for the help along the way!
DIY Aleph J: A Build Guide

The idea is something more detailed than 6L6's excellent illustrated build guide, with more context for beginners. For more on the idea, see alanhuth's original "modest proposal" thread, which wished this effort into existence.

This thread was where we showed our progress at putting together our noobs guide, ask for help, and welcome comments about it.

This noobs' guide will be for building a plain-vanilla, single power supply, US-voltage Aleph J, built from the DiYStore boards, 4U Deluxe chassis, and DiYStore transistors. Since we're in the US, we focused on US parts sources for the rest of the BOM (like Antec for transformers and Mouser for parts).

The guide lives on Blogger (we're hoping to save noobs from having to work through hundreds of thread posts, after all):
https://diyalephj.blogspot.com/.

Here are direct links to the posts:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Q1: Recommended multimeter for noobs?

Soliciting advice for a recommended noob multimeter. One we found online that seems to be well-regarded is the Klein Tools MM400 ($45 on Amazon). Any other recommendations, particularly any that are less expensive than this one, but will do the job?

Our approach to tools in this thread is that we want to be able to recommend tools that will only be used for this project, as opposed to tools that you will keep and use off and on forever. That is a huge difference, and both are valuable to know.

The “keeper” category seems to belong to Fluke. The Klein MM400 is probably a low-cost multimeter that could be used by many people for years to come, but are there other, less expensive options for those who have no intention of doing anything electronic other than building this Aleph J?

I know that some people recommend using 3 to 5 very cheap multimeters because sometimes in amp building you need to see more than one measurement at the same time. What would be a good choice for that scenario?

Thanks,

Klein Tools MM400 Multimeter, Auto Ranging Digital Electrical Tester for Temperature, Capacitance, Frequency, Duty-Cycle, Diodes, Continuity Klein Tools MM400 Multimeter, Auto Ranging Digital Electrical Tester for Temperature, Capacitance, Frequency, Duty-Cycle, Diodes, Continuity - - Amazon.com

Since we started by talking about tools here, I decided to move on from my garbage soldering pen. I got a recommendation for a cheap soldering station from here and it’s on the way....

Stahl Tools STSSVT Variable Temperature Soldering Iron Station

I already love the idea of this thread and it seems like a good time to build something, I will update on the soldering station results when I get it

The “keeper” category seems to belong to Fluke. The Klein MM400 is probably a low-cost multimeter that could be used by many people for years to come, but are there other, less expensive options for those who have no intention of doing anything electronic other than building this Aleph J?

I've had no problems using 'Tenma' multimeters alongside the fluke. They are inexpensive (decent one is ~$40USD) and have enough functions for amp building and general purpose use after.

https://au.element14.com/tenma/72-2595/dmm-handheld-manual-3-5digit/dp/2499511

AC/DC Current, AC/DC Voltage, Capacitance, Continuity, Resistance, Temperature.

Their range can be found at Element14 / Farnell / Newark.

Edit: Harbor Freight sells them for under $7
7 Function Digital Multimeter

I have one of those I bought maybe a decade or more ago. They are great for general purpose readings, such as monitoring a rail voltage, but I wouldn't rely on one for more critical measurements. I replaced the leads on mine also as they broke very quickly.

They definitely serve a purpose as a secondary measuring device.

Last edited:
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Re:soldering iron

A good soldering iron is most appreciated if you do a lot of soldering.

Hakko FX-888D Digital Soldering Station

I have an older analog control version of this iron and it has worked flawlessly for all of my projects. I have had it for quite a few years now and the soldering tip is still unworn. The silicone cord has also withstood contact with the hot tip with no damage.

It is a bit more expensive but I think it is worth it.

Joined 2018
Paid Member
Here are some notes from items I put on my bench in the last 2 years. I took a 15 year hiatus from building and then went a bit nuts in 2019, with more projects in 2020.

My first purchases were:

Stahl Digital soldering station. I love this unit.
Stahl Tools DDSS Digital Display Soldering Iron Station

I have 2 of these DMM's
UYIGAO UA9233E Digital Multimeter Portable Handheld Clamp Meter Tester Measures Voltage Tester - - Amazon.com
You can spend more, you can spend less. I went with these because they had decent reviews and they cover voltage, current, resistance, and capacitance. Auto ranging is also nice.

I have a Vellman, too.

There are times you'll want 2 or 3 meters depending on the project.

Next wave of purchases:

I have this one for measuring current, which is a must when biasing SissySIT. It also does a fine job on voltage and resistance.
Uni-T B4Q094 UT210E True RMS AC/DC Current Mini Clamp M W Capacitance Tester: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

Transistor tester, also measures caps, inductors, resistors. Pretty cool tool.
Amazon.com: Transistor Tester, DROK Mosfet Transistor Capacitor Tester, Mega328 NPN PNP Transistor Diode Resistor Inductor Capacitance MOS SCR ESR Meter Automatic Checker Detector: Home Improvement

Scope & Signal Generator. Again, you can spend more or less.
Rigol DS1054Z Digital Oscilloscopes - Bandwidth: 50 MHz, Channels: 4: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
https://www.amazon.com/Koolertron-Generator-Precision-Dual-channel-Arbitrary/dp/B07211YWMK

Quasimodo Test jig - this is for measuring transformers for snubber circuit values. You need a 'scope to use this.
https://www.mpaudio.net/product-page/quasimodo-no-math-transformer-snubber
Simple, no-math transformer snubber using Quasimodo test-jig

Alternatively, I'm pretty sure using standard Antek transformers you can get the values either on a build thread or on the quasi thread.
Quasimodo results (ONLY)

Attachments

• IMG_1836.jpg
    IMG_1836.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 954
Last edited:
Joined 2018
Paid Member
You'll also need lots of odd and ends.

A few things that come to mind include hand tools (wire cutter, wire stripper, pliers, screw drivers, allen wrenches, etc.) I'm guessing most folks have these on hand, but I would say don't screw around on a wire stripper if you're planning to do a lot of building.

After messing around with little bags of parts and running out things, I ended up making a little kit with various screws, washers, disconnects, standoffs, etc. Most of these parts come from Home Depot, Lowes, and Menards. I get the standoffs on amazon or ebay. For those of you in the USA, my experience is that Home Depot sells the female yellow and blue disconnects, where Lowes sells male/female pairs. I end up using the females on rectifier bridges, PSU PCB tabs, power connectors, etc. I have no use for the male ones. Yellows go on fatter transformer secondary wires. Blues go on primary side, or on 14/16 ga. wire you use. Get extras, you'll mess up crimping some. Also get eyelets for grounding. Crimp and solder those.

While you're at Home Depot get spools of wire. I use 16 ga. stranded from PSU to boards, and from boards to speaker binding posts. Red, black, and green at a minimum. I'm using 14 ga. black and white for 120V mains wire. Slice and dice a CAT6 cable for twisted input wiring.

Get some heat shrink tubing. I've gotten specific sizes and colors for making interconnects and speaker cables. For amps I end up using a little assorted pack. Here are 2 of many options at Parts Express. I'm sure Amazon has options, too.

NTE Heat Shrink Tubing 2:1 Black Assorted Sizes 4" 28 Pcs.
Audtek Black Heat Shrink Kit 177 Pieces
I use a heat gun for the heat shrink. A Bic lighter will work in a pinch.

Attachments

• kit.jpg
    kit.jpg
    989.9 KB · Views: 944
Joined 2019
Paid Member
Congratulations on getting the thread started and some momentum behind it!

You haven't asked yet, but as a noobish person myself, here are a few things that I covered as stumbles / things to recommend when I was going through my first few builds. All the information is somewhere in the forums, but if you include it all in your guide... it could be one source.

Tools / Process - Some things I did not anticipate that I needed and/or made my life so much easier that I now wouldn't build without them. Suggestions:

Soldering / Desoldering:

Great solder wick - I found changing solder wick from some generic stuff to Chem-Wik made a HUGE difference along with using a real Edsyn Soldapullt as needed.

Great solder and a station make soldering a breeze. The 99ish USD stations are wonderful upgrades to a pen, and I find them a great performance to value ratio. People can spend as much as they want. ESD safe is nice.

I use leaded solder (my choice), and I hear wonderful things about the new solder (Fire Metall) in the store, although I have not tried it yet. A small bottle of flux or a flux pen is also a nice thing to have, but not strictly necessary. I also like having a toothbrush, some non-linting wipes, and some flux cleaner and/or IPA if you're a stickler for clean boards.

Good/small needle nose pliers/nippers and a pair of wire strippers.

Plenty of good heatshrink tubing and a lighter or some other heatsource.

A Variac (along with notes on when to use it - and when not to use it)

A dim bulb tester (along with notes on when to use it - and when not to use it)

Ceramic / nylon jewelers screwdriver for adjusting bias / offset / P3 etc. There have been a few documented cases of dropping conductive tools into amps and the resulting release of the magic smoke.

A couple (or a multi-channel) DC power supplies - 5A should be enough. Up to 30V should be enough. These, like DMMs, can vary dramatically in price. Almost all have current-limiting capability, but that's a must feature for me. I'd personally go simple unless you have a specific need for something fancy.

At least one (possibly 2 or 3) extra DMMs. Personally, if just for building amps... I'd go with maybe one "good one" and 2 or 3 "Amazon specials" over a super-expensive brand name. I know your guide will be for the Aleph J, but having up to 4 DMMs hooked to the same amp makes things so much easier at times. 2 would be my minimum. Springy j-hook clip leads (I personally bought some el-cheapo ones) and/or some small alligator clips are marvelous.

A board holder with a component holder. Most of the DIYA boards have very few components. So, this is definitely not needed, but it does make life much easier. Cuts stuffing/soldering time in half for me in many cases.

If you're a stickler - A soldering / assembly mat and/or an ESD wrist strap.

Other stuff

I see questions about what wire to use all the time. Pick some you've seen in the forums and recommend it or point to links. Don't get sucked in. :D

Mains wiring - Decide if your guide is world-wide or US only. Unless YOU know what you're doing and can stand behind YOUR guide, I strongly recommend leaving it out of your guide. Caps for emphasis. You own your content, IMO, and if you're publishing it outside the confines if DIYA - I'd strongly recommend running it by someone with some legal knowledge of liability that can help you with a disclaimer etc.

Prepare for Q&A.

Truly an ambitious effort to be admired. Congratulations once again. Have fun!

Last edited:
Guys - I would put equipment like the Hakko in the "deluxe" category. Its a great soldering station but over $100.

I think the whole idea here is to lower the barrier to entry into the hobby, and that includes startup costs. The Stahl is more in the range, but there are perfectly good temperature-controlled "starter" irons under $20, like the Sparkfun iron which can be bought from them or Digikey.

I like to think like a cheapskate DIYer :D

Joined 2018
Paid Member
Guys - I would put equipment like the Hakko in the "deluxe" category. Its a great soldering station but over $100.

I think the whole idea here is to lower the barrier to entry into the hobby, and that includes startup costs. The Stahl is more in the range, but there are perfectly good temperature-controlled "starter" irons under $20, like the Sparkfun iron which can be bought from them or Digikey.

I like to think like a cheapskate DIYer :D

I could suggest the tools section have a cheapskate/entry level category, maybe moderate, and top end.

Just like "there's no such thing as only one beer" when you're out the with boys, I'm pretty sure very few on here only make one amp and stop. How many ACA builders end up a the F5, Aleph J, or others over some time? So rather than only showing the absolute minimum to get by, also offer that next step up as an option knowing this first amp is a gateway to much more.