Aleph J build guide for noobs

Thanks for the posts. When my wife gets home hopefully the thermistors and a few other pieces came. If not I'll just solder wire to the pcb.

If the parts didn't show, should I wire the primary's like shown in the build guide and use a jumper so I'll have -26VDC and +25VDC?

Here's a mock up. I'll run some kind of vented screen down the middle.
Wondering if it will dissipate the heat.

Attachments

• 2020-12-06 02.14.53.jpg
    2020-12-06 02.14.53.jpg
    937.9 KB · Views: 135
  • 2020-12-06 02.15.06.jpg
    2020-12-06 02.15.06.jpg
    826.4 KB · Views: 126
Joined 2017
Paid Member
Thanks for the posts. When my wife gets home hopefully the thermistors and a few other pieces came. If not I'll just solder wire to the pcb.

If the parts didn't show, should I wire the primary's like shown in the build guide and use a jumper so I'll have -26VDC and +25VDC?

Here's a mock up. I'll run some kind of vented screen down the middle.
Wondering if it will dissipate the heat.

Woah, nice!

(If this was my project, I‘d make an experiment: how would the thermal problem behave if the base were perforated?—those heatsink work very well with air circulating around/along them, and having them horizontal diminishes airflow considerably)

Joined 2019
Paid Member

Here's a mock up.

Beautiful wood working.

I'm still confused re: your comments on having only +25VDC.

The power supply is a dual rail supply. One side is + and the other is -

Per previous posts measure below with meter set to VDC:
1) red probe to V+ and black to GND.
2) red probe to V- and black to GND.

If you get +25VDC for 1 and -25VDC for 2... :)
If not, report back.

Your PSU.jpg

When I test with the probes as your post yes, I get neg & pos voltage. My question was do I wire it this way, one side reversed.

Can't take any measurements at the moment. Everything's in pieces.

myleftear, I'll punch a bunch of holes in the bottom, 50 or so1/2" dia.

In the pic power goes to V- & V+? Or do I put pwr to the bigger holes in the middle?

Attachments

• 2020-12-06 03.29.17.jpg
    2020-12-06 03.29.17.jpg
    914.1 KB · Views: 116
Joined 2019
Paid Member
I think I'm finally understanding part of your question. :) I don't know what you mean by one side "reversed", apologies.

Just in case. Each amp board needs V+ and V-. Connections in upper left and upper right of the boards in your picture. Three wires for each board to PSU. V+, V-, and GND.

Is that what you're asking?

Edited to add - there are a few things to potentially discuss re: your amp boards too, but let's cross one bridge at a time.

Last edited:
I think I'm finally understanding part of your question. :) I don't know what you mean by one side "reversed", apologies.

Just in case. Each amp board needs V+ and V-. Connections in upper left and upper right of the boards in your picture. Three wires for each board to PSU. V+, V-, and GND.

Is that what you're asking?

Edited to add - there are a few things to potentially discuss re: your amp boards too, but let's cross one bridge at a time.

I was talking about the connection at the terminal strip.
Mail was picked up but no connector blades or thermistors so, I'll solder wires to the pcb. Then I'll do the DBT and check for voltage and report back.

Test complete. +26.26VDC & -26.26VDC when test leads are reversed on the neg side.

If I measure pos to neg. on both sides both measurements are positive hence my question about the terminal block connections. As is I have + paired & neg. paired. If I wire these like I'm supposed to and don't have a thermistor should I use a jumper for the time being?

Joined 2019
Paid Member
^ compare that to your board. :nod: Many people typing. That nod was to point to 6L6's post.

mkane77g - re: my previous note. That's one of the things I left as future bridge to cross later. See the jumper configuration while you've got the iron hot. With your post in the middle, it loses context. I mean the input jumper.

Joined 2019
Paid Member
When I test with the probes as your post yes, I get neg & pos voltage.

This statement...

Test complete. +26.26VDC & -26.26VDC when test leads are reversed on the neg side.

If I measure pos to neg. on both sides both measurements are positive...

...and this statement do not agree with one another. Which is it?