A modest proposal for all the selfless volunteers helping us build Pass amps

Many people also said, "Just follow the build guides, ignore the diversions." To which I respectfully reply: I believe you have forgotten what it's like to be a complete newby, particularly one who lacks your skills and background. Trust me. I could go through the build guide and BOM for just the power supply alone, step by step, point by point, and demonstrate overwhelmingly the amount of largely unnecessary and uneducational hardship that is involved in getting through that with no skills or experience. But I won't unless you insist.

Having said that, I'm going to do it. i'm going to take you up ln your generous offers of support and I will get it done, and I will be much the wiser for it. And, I will have a beautiful Aleph J to enjoy for the rest of my life. But I could have done it with a lot less dialysis, and a lot of people, I believe, could have done it also, wanted to do it, but chose to do something else that looked more like entertainment.

We haven't forgotten what it's like to be a newby. In fact, many of us are still and always will be newbys who need to get help and follow instructions. I felt the same frustration not long ago, looking at a 4000 reply thread. Stop playing the victim and put in the time like everyone else. Sorry...

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Start slowly.

Begin by constructing a Velleman MK100. Amazon sells it but you can find one for a lot less if you spend a little time with Google.

Then build a CMOY headphone amplifier in an Altoids tin Wikipedia (!!) link , with detailed instructions here. There's an extra deluxe, beautiful kit with snazzy enclosure on Tindie

If you're a guitar player, consider building your own guitar fuzz pedal

Then step up a notch in complexity and build a digital clock kit.

By now you have attained some proficiency at soldering, but push yourself further by building a complete oscilloscope (!!). The DSO138 kit with acrylic case is a modest bandwidth, single channel, oscilloscope on a single, relatively small PCB. You can build it in a single weekend.

Then, maybe, you might be ready to try one of the easier projects in the diyAudio Store. These will introduce you to the process of ordering components from electronics distributors like mouser.com. Many of them will require you to find & purchase a suitable chassis, then drill some holes in it for jacks and potentiometers and switches and things --- just like real audio equipment. Maybe a headphone amp; the store sells ACP+ and WHAMMY and Noir and Starving Student II and Wayne's Burning Amp Linestage which also happens to drive headphones too. Quite an array of choices; I bet that at least one of them are exactly right for you.

There's no rush; it's a hobby, enjoy the ride and take all the time you want.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
So in reading this thread I have learned that I can build my own oscilloscope! And that the Aleph J at least has a complete Mouser parts list!

A useful thing would be to point out more resources for us struggling newbs.

Where do we go to find out what a "snubber" is and the difference between a zener and a current limiting diode? <== One works in an F6, the other doesn't! Bob Cordell's amplifier book?

One we have the soldering iron and the multi-meter what are the next tools we should acquire? Is there an LTSpice bootcamp somewhere?

My $.02 anyway.

-Tom-

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Electronics is so straightforward and simple that you can get a BSEE in only four years. But, speaking for myself, I had to go to grad school and earn an MSEE before I was able to comprehend the equations and, more importantly, the insight behind snubbers.

On the other hand, you might find snubbers intuitive and immediately obvious, before earning either degree, if you carefully read Jim Hagerman's excellent article from 1994 link. He is a very gifted explainer of challenging material.

Joined 2019
Paid Member
So in reading this thread I have learned that I can build my own oscilloscope! And that the Aleph J at least has a complete Mouser parts list!

A useful thing would be to point out more resources for us struggling newbs.

Where do we go to find out what a "snubber" is and the difference between a zener and a current limiting diode? <== One works in an F6, the other doesn't! Bob Cordell's amplifier book?

One we have the soldering iron and the multi-meter what are the next tools we should acquire? Is there an LTSpice bootcamp somewhere?

My $.02 anyway.

-Tom-
One can successfully build an amp without knowing any of those things (I certainly didn’t :)) When starting out, the most important thing is to reference the schematic and double check your parts before soldering.

Another thing that helps is reading Nelson’s articles and user guides. Certainly there are many that are over my head, but I’ve found that each time I go back and revisit one, I’m understanding more and more of what’s being said. I still know next to nothing, but I’m learning :D

Last edited:
Joined 2012
Paid Member

So, with that prelude, I have a modest proposal. It would be nice if there was a stepping stone up from the ACA; a complete, step-by-step plan, overly detailed instructions, complete BOM, maybe even a “project” on Mouser, etc. with everything matching perfectly so that a person, with a little common sense but with no confidence or understanding of what they are doing, could simply follow all the steps and come up with something First Watt level (F5, etc) that works. Pick the case, the power supply, the components, the boards, the complete parts list, and go. No customization options, no choices or decisions to make, just a functional, world-class amp in a box.

I know that is the point of the ACA, but F5 is a whole different level. ...

My view is that what you're asking for effectively exists. See the suggested road map below.

Step 1: Check the F5 store page and the new build guide (the store page has a link)
Step 2: Check out the original F5 Build Guide
Step 3: Refer to the posted BoM on the store page and do your own "gap assessment" to work out what else you need, e.g. cable, fixtures, chassis, transformer, &&&
Step 4: For convenience, use the store to get amp+PSU PCBs, F5 kit, JFETs, chassis completion kit and chassis (see note below) - refer store link above.
Step 5: Order a transformer (refer original build guide for guidance + store's PSU PCB page)
Step 6: Follow the guides - build, set up, test and enjoy

Note: Regarding the chassis, suggest opting for a Deluxe with UMS pre-tapped holes - pick 4U or 5U and preferred faceplate colour. Consider what cosmetic customisation you'd like. To keep it simple, go stock.

One drawback with the above plan is that you may have to wait for all the store offerings to be in stock. If there's hardware that's out of stock and you don't want to wait, then it's a case of getting out there to track down what you need. Watch your transistor procurement in terms of genuine parts (buy from reputable sources) and whether matching is recommended.

From your work at Step 3, post the total or gap BoM in the new build guide to feedback into the community and help the next guy/girl who follows in your footsteps.

If you want a different power amp, then you'll have to do your research. Both paths are worthwhile.

Over to you.. :up:

Joined 2019
Paid Member
The whole kit with all the parts would be a good idea, I think.

The most stressful part of DIYing is still when I check out Mouser's shopping cart, and I bought parts from Mouser more than 20 times!

And you just KNOW after you get the shipping notification that you forgot a key part or mis-speced something. Do I wait until I need a bigger parts order... or do I suck up the shipping cost and just order the one I goofed? :D

I still feel my pulse rise when putting full mains power to a unit even after all the proper checks. I can't wait until I can reach for the switch with confidence and not cringe a bit. :rofl:

Joined 2011
Paid Member
For Pass Labs amps whose circuit boards are sold in the diyAudio Store, a laboratory power supply with dual outputs, each adjustable from 0V to 30V, at a max current of 3A or more, is a godsend. It lets you test the "amplifier channel" PCBs individually, independent of each other and independent of your amplifier's power supply PCB. I've been using this one for ten years and it's saved my bacon dozens of times. There's a big brother model for $25 more, rated for 5A instead of 3A. But for simple bring-up testing / smoke testing / initial rough guess bias & offset finagling, the 3 amp model is just about the perfect tool. By setting the current-limit to a small number, then dialing up the voltage sloooooowly, you can detect potential problems without melting components.

BTW it's also the perfect tool if you decide to test, or modify, or redesign, removable daughter cards like the ones on the Pass Labs M2x. Attach this dual supply to a daughter card, set the current limit to 15mA, and dial up the two DC voltages very gradually. If all goes well, apply input signals and measure output signals. Wallah.

_

Last edited:
@alanhuth I think your original post in this thread is dead-on.

I'm also a veteran of the ACA, looking to take the next step. And, like you, I think that next step is an Aleph J (I've owned the Aleph 3, 5, 30, and J, as well as the XA30.8).

So here's my proposal: let's do this together, and let's write up the guide you want as we go, so the next person has what we think they should!

What do you say? I've already bought my boards, transistors, and chassis (all from DIYaudiostore -- still no stock of the back panel hardware tho). :)

PS You bought my red ACAs from me, so you've got my first project already. :)