Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

A modest proposal for all the selfless volunteers helping us build Pass amps
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th June 2020, 07:32 AM   #11
myleftear is offline myleftear  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigent Audio View Post
For me power supplies are where the voodoo lies, the universal PCB helps but I feel like I need to color within the or get an EE degree, tube supplies seem like double voodoo. More consolidated knowledge and reasoning of these magic spells would be helpful...to me...

Metoo A modest proposal for all the selfless volunteers helping us build Pass ampsA modest proposal for all the selfless volunteers helping us build Pass amps

There‘s plenty information around (here and outside in the web), for all of us beginners -> gurus. Hard part is finding it. (I‘ll post some when I‘m done with my day-job)
Old 29th June 2020, 10:23 AM   #12
twocents is online now twocents  South Africa
diyAudio Member

I was a noob once. Actually, not too long ago. A bigger noob than now. Building a kit (like the ACA) is a great start, but if you keep on assembling kits you will never learn the stuff you are wondering or asking about. What 6L6 is doing is already amazing. Problem is – these precise instructions (and BOMs) quickly get outdated. Just have a look at the “ACA with Premium Parts” thread and how far this is from the original ACA.

Decide on your next amp and just get started. Ask questions on the relevant thread – that’s why there are discussion threads and members that are willing to help. It's a forum and all the answers are here.
Old 29th June 2020, 03:49 PM   #13
Nelson Pass is offline Nelson Pass  United States
The one and only

We were all Noobs once.

What you need is to adopt the right attitude and join FAB

-- FEARLESS AMPLIFIER BUILDERS --

(and use 6L6 build guides)

Old 29th June 2020, 03:58 PM   #14
RickRay is offline RickRay  United States
diyAudio Member

I believe the only thing that could be improved on the forums is a better search function. I read the entire thread and then forget where the bit about bias adjustment is. A better search would make things WAY easier, but sometimes you find other things while going back through. I'm hooked and not giving up, LOL.
Old 29th June 2020, 05:15 PM   #15
Zen Mod is online now Zen Mod  Serbia
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

I'm usually lost both in space and time

it even happened recently that I did construction (luckily just in simulator) of same amplifier, twice in 10 days (being distracted with 3 different ones in meantime)......

why anyone should be lost in lesser amount than I am?

Old 29th June 2020, 05:34 PM   #16
codyt is offline codyt  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickRay View Post
I believe the only thing that could be improved on the forums is a better search function. I read the entire thread and then forget where the bit about bias adjustment is. A better search would make things WAY easier, but sometimes you find other things while going back through. I'm hooked and not giving up, LOL.
Use google and and the site specific function. For instance "F5 build guide site:diyaudio.com"
Old 29th June 2020, 06:03 PM   #17
plasnu is offline plasnu  United States
diyAudio Member

I learned a lot from this forum and from the articles by Nelson Pass and Michael Rothacher.

In fact, I also learned a lot from LTSpice emulation.

I think it would be very helpful for us if we can download LTSpice emulations of various schematics published here. Most of designers here seem to use LTSpice, but it's rare to find downloadable LTSpice data here for some reasons. Maybe I can't just find them... DO we have ACA or Aleph J emulation?

Last edited by plasnu; 29th June 2020 at 06:07 PM.
Old 29th June 2020, 06:05 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyt View Post
That said, I do understand the daunting task a newcomer faces when buying parts. Pre-made Mouser or Digi-Key carts do make it easy, but you can often find recommended part numbers in the store BOM’s. If those items are no longer available, just take note of the specs and find a comparable substitute. I guarantee you could find someone who’d be willing to review your cart for errors or missteps.
I once ended up with some parts for some far-out pneumatic stuff when I was sourcing parts for my B1 Mesmerize, and once I had > 1 million resistors. (luckily realized it before buying it )
Old 29th June 2020, 06:05 PM   #19
plasnu is offline plasnu  United States
diyAudio Member

I usually just add diyaudio after the keywords, then click "More results from www.diyaudio.com".
Old 29th June 2020, 06:07 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Default follow-up, trying to follow

Quote:
Originally Posted by myleftear View Post
Metoo A modest proposal for all the selfless volunteers helping us build Pass ampsA modest proposal for all the selfless volunteers helping us build Pass amps

There‘s plenty information around (here and outside in the web), for all of us beginners -> gurus. Hard part is finding it. (I‘ll post some when I‘m done with my day-job)
Hi again.
I just posted this little list of useful stuff concerning PSUs...
hth
david

A modest proposal for all the selfless volunteers helping us build Pass ampsHide this!Advertise here!