F8

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Maybe it will prove to be "Ultimate J2" and regular J2 soon revealed? Me greedy. As rare as Semisouths are for us, Nelson's stash is sufficient to support more than one amp I guess...but I can wish. I have two quads of Semisouth,, one has been waiting for years for J2 release, I guess I know what I am saving other quad for, if quad is enough!

Russellc

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Oh, no, another amp to wait for.

At least there is an upside. I'm getting a large enough pile of amps that all systems covered...can now determine a few of them are working at cross purposes and a few can be rebuilt into new ones without cost of chassis and power supply.

I already repurposed F6 into Aleph J as I felt for me in my systems, that it was very similar to F5. F5 now up to repurpose into F7 clone, or J2 clone. The F5 and F6 will return, F5 with P3 this time, and F6 with Semisouth or Toshiba outputs and resistor mods to alter 2nd order distortion.

Oh well, I'll find another parts box to put future F8 parts in...

Russellc

Joined 2019
Paid Member
...F6 with Semisouth or Toshiba outputs and resistor mods to alter 2nd order distortion.

Oh well, I'll find another parts box to put future F8 parts in...

Russellc

I initially thought the F6 was a little too dry(?) for me, but messing with the source resistors and putting a BA3 FE in front has made it one my of my favorites

Last edited:
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I initially thought the F6 was a little too dry(?) for me, but messing with the source resistors and putting a BA3 FE in front has made it one my of my favorites

Oh it's a fine amp, my preference goes to other ones. But that's the whole point. Different flavors and attributes are preferred by different listeners.

I will return to F6, in slightly different tune.Same with F5. F5 is whole right now, but may turn into F7 clone or J2 clone. I feel as to my builds, F6 and F5 were cut from same sonic cloth. I feel BA3 better to my tastes, does what they do plus warmer side. Aleph J is a beauty as is M2. I feel like SissySit will be a fav once done. I just grew away from F5 and F6 sound. Nothing wrong with one's preference either way.

Russellc

Oh it's a fine amp, my preference goes to other ones. But that's the whole point. Different flavors and attributes are preferred by different listeners.

I will return to F6, in slightly different tune.Same with F5. F5 is whole right now, but may turn into F7 clone or J2 clone. I feel as to my builds, F6 and F5 were cut from same sonic cloth. I feel BA3 better to my tastes, does what they do plus warmer side. Aleph J is a beauty as is M2. I feel like SissySit will be a fav once done. I just grew away from F5 and F6 sound. Nothing wrong with one's preference either way.

Russellc

The are no culls, just different taste for different folks. My taste in FW clones is much as yours Russel. F5, F6 and my version of F7 not to my taste with my horn speakers. From what I gather a lot depends on the kind of speaker one has on which clone one likes best. Both the BA-1 and BA-2 with the BA-3 front end are exceptional amplifiers often overlooked for something newer. The V-fet is another one of my favorites. These are the 3 I listen with most in SS.