Interview YouTube - next big thing

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
lemme see........

-JBL 4343

-wakoo sense of humor, since teen years

-he started building things when I was 2yrs old (Varta Bunny jumping toddler)

- 30 yrs of PL

- PassWorks is a helluvaname for Company; how I didn't claim that first :rofl: ?

- Papa likes to be loved; having Jill always and all around, that's no less than Status Quo

- J2 is still sort of benchmark, not just of popularity; however, there is replacement in pipeline

-biiiig honking MoBo for JBL active xover !!

- 4 to 5K amps per year...... Baaaad Papa! (and crew)

- similarity is similarity..... but then there is also a similarity :clown:

-we are the Cheapest.... but also Happiest Bunch (though, if I start thinking how many different amps I made in years, just to learn something ..... beat me - this is expensive almost as Fishing :rofl: )

- oh yessss! I have 240GB of Papa's lounge muzak :)

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
my friend in Belgrade is having a pair, driven with SissySIT

btw. he's Wizzard for making these from scratch; he made pair of bigger ones (two 15" per side, can't recall number) and these, strictly with all drivers freshly re-coned with genuine parts

they're made and looking exactly as factory made, in fact even better detailed

Pass DIY Apprentice
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Very fun interview! The 4343's are kinda special. There's a reason the Japanese guys love them. You often see them paired with big amps but I've driven them very successfully with just a a handful of watts, and I've also tried high-power on the bottom, and flea-watts on the top with a First Watt B4. A nice dedicated Pass active XO would be the cat's pajamas. :)

I'm most interested in Nelson's impressions of the GPA 604 and the 15" Radian coax, if I got that right.

I heard a factory-built FW F5 on a friend's Altec 604 (not sure which iteration), and it sounded very enjoyable. He liked it better than a Sun 2A3 he had.

Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
if not the latest one - E suffix**, as I recall - forgetabout damn 604 - simply no highs above 10K

and what's the point of damn big honking piece of everything, when it is not doing what's intended to

I wouldn't have anything against adding one nice tweet above, but with Tannoys DC you don't need it, even RCA LC1B, with it's venerable piston like tweet is not exactly demanding supertweet

so, be careful which 604 you're dealing with

**check on GPA site what's latest by nomenclature

What's a nice high efficient speaker that's easy to diy anyway?

There are many full range speakers with high efficiency that can be used just for the mids. For bass the pro series of Eminence are very efficient as well one can use. Then are are always horns. Personally I would not build any speaker that is not 90db or better. There are many excellent 85db speakers out there but just not for me.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.